2024 Roster

Grains of salt and all that, but Buster Olney says that “Organizational sources believe Michael Brantley will retire.”

That seems to be the conventional wisdom, but much like Jimmy McGinty, Brantley is anything but a conventional guy.

I’m surprised that I don’t know the answer to this already, but, what is harder on a pitchers arm? Preparing for and then pitching 200+ innings as a starter or preparing for and pitching 60+ appearances as a leverage reliever?

As far as I know, that is an open question that has been hotly debated for decades. On one hand, the starter throws more pitches, but on the other hand the fixed routine of a starter versus the up and down routine of a reliever reduces strain on the arm.

@JimR can answer this better than any of us, but considering both starters and relievers are being taught to throw all their pitches with maximum effort in today’s game, I’d think throwing somewhere between 45-60 pitches in game action per week plus warming up in the bullpen would be less taxing than throwing 80-100 pitches once a week, sometimes twice. Starting pitchers still have bullpen sessions a couple days after their last start, and they warm up before throwing their first pitch.

I think getting up and down and not being used sometimes is harder on the arm.

3 Likes

A move!

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/minors/now-former-minnesota-twins-pitcher-oliver-ortega-claimed-off-waivers-by-houston-astros

Not the least bit sorry if Cabrera’d.

2 Likes

I actually think this is a low risk high reward claim. I watched a couple of his outings with the Twins last year and I like his stuff. Hopefully we get lucky here.

1 Like

If and when; Double-Ought.

“That’s Double Naught.” - Jethro Bodine.

Paredes outrighted to AAA, taking the 40 man roster down to 37.

I guess they decided to take the roster spot and leave the Enoli.

11 Likes

Mlbtraderumors is reporting this makes Enoli a minor league free agent.

He may elect to move on.

damn …

He should at this point. A fresh start somewhere else might do him some good.

2 Likes

I count 38 (including the three pitchers still showing 60-day IL).

Neris is still on the roster

Missed that. He is gone now and the tally is 37.

2 Likes

And he (Paredes) did: https://www.milb.com/corpus-christi/roster/transactions/houston-astros/2023-11

I wish things had turned out better for him with the Astros. I really liked his arm and thought he had a lot of potential.

3 Likes