2024 Roster

I thought I remember Eovaldi saying he’d never sign with the Astros after the 2018 postseason. I remember reports out there that we were interested and then I remember hearing that. Not sure if my memory is accurate, but sure others around here will clarify.

Eovaldi needs to look into sign stealing in MLB a little bit more if he thinks it was just Houston.

1 Like

I don’t think it had anything to do with sign stealing. That hadn’t come out yet.

Eovaldi signed a 1-year deal with the Rangers this past offseason, while Crane was GM, before we hired Brown

JimR was all over it, and he wasn’t wrong, or in doubt.

2 Likes

I do not remember any of that, but that is not unusual for me.

I think this was the story, Bregman posted a video before the 2018 ALCS of him hitting a bunch of bombs off Eovaldi, Eovaldi didn’t like it, and said Bregman/the Astros rub a lot of guys the wrong way. Seems like a situation where some guys talk trash and some guys have thin skins, but no real hatred or anything. (Note, the link is from a Boston paper, so you can guess what slant it takes.)

Eovaldi is from Alvin though. I’d hope that would have helped bring him in.

ETA: He’s under contract in Arlington through 2024, with a vesting option for 2025 if he hits a certain number of innings.

Only incorrect part of this is that the contract is a 2 year deal w/ a vesting option for year 3 in 2025.

Coach was his biggest advocate and I was screaming that we had enough pitching.

Didn’t age well.

3 Likes

Yeah, it had nothing to do with sign stealing. He basically said they were assholes, and singled out Bregman as the chief one. Said he’d never be interested in playing with “those guys”.

And I just read another article that he actually had interest in coming to Houston after becoming a FA following the 2019 season but Astros were not interested. That also rubbed him the wrong way.

Link: Nathan Eovaldi is not a big fan of the Astros

It’s towards the bottom.

Dusty retiring according to USA Today.

Chron too:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/houston-astros-dusty-baker-retire-18448128.php?utm_content=cta&sid=5a8c62356ce954fd378b5151&ss=A&st_rid=7841e707-eeea-4a98-8c70-937b70ac3935&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=news&utm_campaign=HC_BreakingNews

The Astros announced a press conference Thursday at Minute Maid Park that will include Baker, owner Jim Crane and general manager Dana Brown.

McTaggart is the beat reporter in that equation.

I wish Dusty well in retirement, but I’m excited for a new manager to lead the Astros in 2024.

11 Likes

Me too, we have enough in the tank to challenge again in '24

Dusty was the right person for the post-scandal job.

He’s had quite a baseball life.

9 Likes

100%

He’s had quite a life in general. He’s like Forrest Gump in important moments in history. He’s hung out with Jimi Hendrix and invented the high five. A really interesting dude. Just glad he won’t be making out the lineup any more.

16 Likes

A great ambassador for baseball and a stellar human being

2 Likes

Also a Marine and part of the trade that brought him to the Dodgers involved Astro great Jimmy Wynn going to Atlanta.

1 Like

Nolan Ryan’s last out in his '81 no-no at The Dome, then leads the Astros to the '22 WS championship.
Beisbol is interesting like that.

5 Likes