2024 Roster

Especially since it had clearly been working. I have no idea what Framber was “thinking”, but I’m tired of it.

3 Likes

Never worked like that for me. Now, I always deferred to my catcher, so I could just focus on actually pitching, but it was always a team effort. I would not have reacted well if the catcher took a tone of “do what I say and shut the fuck up.”

That said, I would never deviate from the gameplan, especially if it was working. My catcher giving me an earful for that, I would have no issue with.

2 Likes

The Astros are a sub .500 baseball team nearly 50 games into the season. Joe Espada does not have the luxury of punting a game to teach Framber a lesson for going rogue by leaving him in long enough to cough up a 6-1 lead against a division opponent.

8 Likes

Nominated

1 Like

Abreu will play rookie ball games today and tomorrow and then report to Sugarland for the weekend

1 Like

I wouldn’t bring him up until if/when he starts destroying the baseball in the minors. The Astros can’t afford to let both him and Bregman work through their issues in the same lineup.

1 Like

Abreu with a HR today — off a 19 yo Metlet who has given up 2 in 6 IP while allowing a .385 BAA and a 2.50 WHIP.

Got to start somehwere.

2 Likes

This is a great quote:

And with the contract signed, Berry asked Hader how he could be used by the Astros. “Any way they want,” Hader said. “They made a commitment to me, and I’ll make a commitment to them.”

7 Likes

ICYMI: Abreu to be promoted on Monday. My guess is Loperfido goes down despite being one of the team’s best hitters since he came up.

I care much less about the Abreu news than the Urquidy news.

5 Likes

Loperfido isn’t getting much PT in Houston now. Might as well go play.;

2 Likes

This is me being stupidly hopeful…but with him in SL, I’d hope he’s working with Bagwell at all possible opportunities to start to master 1B

2 Likes

Abreu was 0-for-4 in Sugar Land today. But on the bright side, he did put the ball in play half the time.

Half of that half the time was a GIDP

The Astros are going to take a productive major league player off the roster to replace him with quite literally the worst player in baseball. It’s no surprise, we always knew they would. The only surprise here is that they arranged to send him away in the first place, an arrangement that coincided with the team’s rocketing up the standings.

3 Likes

I should walk away from this but I won’t. You could make the same criticism of the roster decision without the “worst player in baseball” crap. This not a defense of Abreu; of course he has been bad. I am merely suggesting you should tone down your demeaning rhetoric. I like the person you are in real life. I abhor your OWA persona.

2 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t attribute the team gaining in the standings from sending Abreu down. It’s not like Singleton has been lighting it up at the plate. It’s not Abreu’s fault that the bullpen has blown numerous games late. It’s not Abreu’s fault the rest of the team has been inconsistent. It’s also not Abreu’s fault that Bregman (who is currently the team’s cleanup hitter for whatever reason) is batting .204. The only thing saving Houston right now is that Texas and Seattle aren’t running away with the division.

4 Likes

“I was wrong. The most important thing is acknowledging that — be humble and be where your feet are — and get back to where it needs to be,” Abreu said.

“I was wrong on my swing. The games sped up on you too much and sometimes it’s tough to see where you’re at. I saw videos and everything, but I didn’t see it. But now, (hitting coach Alex Cintrón), Brantley, Bagwell, Rene, we all have a good group and we found it. I hope I can show it right away, but it’s baseball and it’s a process. Hopefully I can get there.”

4 Likes

This is the saving grace of what’s been a frustrating season.

The baseball version of “So you’re saying there’s a chance!”

2 Likes