2024 Roster

“Yainer did a really good job calling pitches,” Framber Valdez said. “I was the one that decided to go against the game plan and try to change the game plan. Obviously had to deal with the consequences.”

https://x.com/matthewkawahara/status/1792792773957193976?s=46&t=X3AG1fkSceS-5Ge7ZBEz-A

Oh man, Sears sucks. Got stuck selling Lady Kenmores.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

The fact that Espada sat on his ass and did nothing is very concerning. He can’t help that he had 6 starters on the IL at some point this season, but his in game moves, or lack there of in this case, have me doubting his abilities to manage effectively.

3 Likes

Chas activated, Cabbage optioned. Chas bats 9th tonight.

2 Likes

That’s the easy decision.

The hard decision is if they activate Abreu like Brown is talking about.

1 Like

Abreu is tearing up the FCL … slashing .214/.267/.357 with one K and no HR in 15 PA against teenage pitchers. Bring him back!

If you pull him earlier, you might have to deal with it again later in the season.

I am guessing that Espada knows Framber better than any of us do. We don’t know what happened in private between Espada, Miller and Framber. I also bet some of the other members of the team had some words with him as well.

I believe there are sometimes you have to let natural logical consiquences be the teacher.

Is there a clock on Abreu? Or does he get whatever time he wants/needs?

I could buy that. The only issue is, this isn’t a one time issue, but a recurring one. Espada is really slow to react to game situations and has so far been very reluctant to make pitching changes until after the damage has been well and truly done.

3 Likes

No clock. He’s not on rehab, he’s accepted a minor league assignment. Technically, the Astros could keep him off the 26-man roster the rest of the season.

1 Like

Espada’s style so far really highlights the difference between “patient” and “passive.”

4 Likes

“Passive” is how’d I’d describe his interviews as well. Lots of shoulder shrugging and a lack of fire. If I’m wrong, please point me to what I need to see.

I wasn’t advocating to pull him earlier. But the second that they noticed he was deviating from the game plan, Espada or Miller should’ve went to the mound and said knock it the fuck off, and you throw what Yanier tells you to throw. Then after the game, you get together and tell him that he is never to stray from the game plan when it is working without a dugout discussion or mound visit prior.

No clock, but Brown said he might be back this weekend, and Chandler Rome had an article stating that Bagwell is in Florida telling him Abreu looks great.

Bagwell also said he looked great just weeks before the demotion if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Regardless, as nice as Singleton’s surge was, he’s not a long term solution for this season. (Please prove me wrong, Jon) so I don’t care too much who is there between Abreu and Singleton at the moment.

Given the salary he is making, Abreu will not be allowed to stay in Florida very long however, as long as this team is playing well, and it is right now, I’m not bringing his ass back. It would be one thing if he was tearing the cover off the ball down there, but he’s not.

And as a fan, I’m starting to get real tired of Jeff Bagwell being involved in things.

4 Likes

I feel like Bagwell will always be a teammate, not a coach.

The list of HOFers who were good coaches/executives is a hell of a lot shorter than the list who were bad ones.

1 Like

this is not the way it works at any level, but scrapping the game plan is a different and worse issue.

7 Likes