2024 Roster

I hope he doesn’t get injured with all that travel.

1 Like

He’s going to bounce back and forth all year. He’s going to get real familiar with 59.

The Cubs have DFA’d 1B Garrett Cooper, who was hitting .270/.341/.432 in limited playing time this year. 33 years old, hits right-handed. Really the only reason not to claim him is if a team with higher waiver priority does it first.

5 Likes

I would love to see the Astros claim Cooper, call up Loperfido or sign Brandon Belt or CJ Cron, but unfortunately, despite Dana Brown saying Jose Abreu would sit for a few days, Abreu is batting eighth tonight.

I really hope Abreu turns this around, but this feels like more than a bad slump and continuing to run him out there isn’t helping the Astros nor himself right now. Abreu couldn’t square up 91-92 mph fastballs from 40-year-old Jesse Chavez last week.

1 Like

That’s a real short list to get to us.

1 Like

White Sox (.136 win percentage) might beat them to the punch–their 1B production is looking pretty lackluster too.

That said, if Dana Brown doesn’t place a claim with the intent of dropping Singleton if it goes through, it’s malpractice.

6 Likes

I’m just putting a marker on the O’Hearn FA year Orioles trade for moderate prospects. I have no reason or insight, but it seems like the type of thing the O’s would do. Especially if Mountcastle is only minorly injured and Santander starts actually hitting.

3 Likes

Astros are optioning JP France to Sugar Land as the corresponding move for Framber’s return.

https://x.com/chandler_rome/status/1783621894844932207?s=46

Also, since they get a 27th man for the Mexico series (but it can’t be a pitcher), they’re calling up Trey Cabbage.

2 Likes

who I think should be extremely pissed off at whatever German immigrant ancestor changed their name at Ellis Island from Kohl to Cabbage.
And shouldn’t it be Trey Cabbages rather than Trey Cabbage? Adjectives need to agree in number with the noun.

3 Likes

The Astros have broken Sid.

He is the first of us to fall, but will not be the last.

13 Likes

And now his watch has ended

4 Likes

His name was Sid Dithers.

4 Likes

Cabbage gets the start today in LF with Abreu at 1b

There oughta be a law.

I assume that means the Astros passed.

It’s possible the Astros put in a claim. Technically he was traded to the Sox

Interesting not from Tag on X yesterday:

“We had some changes we wanted to make to put myself in better positions,” he said. “We dabbled back and forth. It was a tough go. I didn’t feel comfortable during spring, didn’t play well. I feel like I’m starting to find my way a little bit now and trying take everything in stride.”

The AAA #s bear this out. He got of to a painful start to the season. In his first six games, he was hitting .105 with an OPS of .425. He had 11Ks and 6 BB. No extra base hits.
Since 4/6, he is 17 of 49 (.346) and has raised his average to .217 and his OPS to .926. During those 14 games, he has struck out 17 times and walked 15.
Cabbage also has five stolen bases in 6 attempts this year.

Cabbage’s improvement might be why the didn’t claim Cooper.

If he keeps doing what he did yesterday, he might stay up and Singleton might be DFA’d.

1 Like

As much as I hate seeing Bregman struggle, he must be going crazy. He’s probably costing himself $100 million.

1 Like