2024 Roster

Blanco has been good so far.

1 Like

My money says Blanco and Bielak combine for more innings than McCullers and Garcia.

1 Like

I have zero confidence in Bielak.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say I have zero confidence him. I think he is perfectly fine for what he is.

Thats a AAAA starting pitcher that can spot start half a dozen times per year but has no upside and best case is he pitches at a #4 SP level with the most likely resilts being closer to a #6.

He pitches better than his stuff and metrics say he should, but exposure is bad bad bad for those guys.

Thats fine in April if you have 4 solid healthy guys and a guy with a tweak that requires a 15 day IL stint.

Its a nightmare if you have 3 healthy guys and everyone else is questionable.

Career WAR - 0.5
2023 WAR 0.3

He’s a guy.

3 Likes

The embodiment of an average major-leaguer.

He’s the very measure of an average major leaguer
There is information, quantitative, that shows that he is meager

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’d go quite that far, but he’s a warm body and an arm when you just need an arm. I would not count on him for anything other than to eat a few innings here and there when everyone else is gassed. Which is handy to have around.

1 Like

I agree – More of an average replacement-level guy. He won’t hurt you too much, but probably will not help much either.

3 Likes

Snell wants $66 mill for two years with an opt out, Nightengale says. Many of you do not trust his reports so who knows? We need Jim’s “friend” to weigh in on this.

4 Likes

From “my friend”

Friday:I have not heard anything about them being close to signing him personally. The last I heard any Astros news was on Adam Duvall and I passed it on a day or two ago.

I know that the Astros and a group of teams have kept in touch with Boras, but that doesn’t mean anything is imminent. The Astros also have kept in contact about Duvall and Taylor and other outfielders.

Having said that - Ken Rosenthal doesn’t report non sourced news. If he says the Astros are trying hard to get Snell, then I believe him. I also know that Crane has made positive comments about Snell in the past.

I don’t know how the Urquidy injury changes all of this as I have heard zero today on a signing.

I wish I knew more… but this isn’t like Hader when I was told over and over again that Crane was going to try and sign Hader and he wanted him back after losing him.

3 Likes

Not directly about Snell, but trying to reduce salary to make it more reasonable and less CBT impact:

Today: Okay I was told the Astros are talking to teams about Montero.

2 Likes

Also today: I honestly don’t even know that Snell is all that good. He is inconsistent and he doesn’t pitch a lot of innings.

Also - like I said before, these 1 year deals with option years 2-3 for players are not great for teams IMO.

Yesterday or the day before Rosenthal reported the Astros were close on Snell. That isn’t what I heard and I said so. Talking? Yeah but close? Not what I heard.

Now told Astros are seeing what the interest in Montero is around the league. Has to be connected to the tax although I wasn’t told that.

I get the same line - “Crane and Brown both are obsessed with improving this team.”

I’ll be mildly surprised if the Astros get Snell. There are teams out there with more money - but I also think this highlights that Snell isn’t as accomplished as he and Boras think. 2 great years and 4-5 years of “okay” doesn’t breed confidence.

2 Likes

From ****'s mouth to your mouth to god’s ears!

I agree. I’ve never been a Snell fan. I’d rather have Montgomery than Snell, but as crazy as this sounds, I’d rather sign Lorenzen than Snell. He’s cheaper and you wouldn’t have to surrender the draft picks. I also think there would be about a 50/50 chance that Lorenzen would pitch just as well as Snell.

At any rate, I think the Astros need to sign one of the three.

I know it is spring training, and it means absolutely NOTHING, but I have VERY little confidence right now in Framber. Coming off a very shaky season, his spring hasn’t been great. He’s struck out 7 today, which is good, but has given up 4 runs, a dinger and has walked 2 in 3 innings plus. Let’s hope he just doing the proverbial spring training “tinkering.”

The Angels have had the best record in spring for like 3 or 4 years in a row. Taking anything, good or bad, from spring results is lunacy.

5 Likes

Agreed. Spring Training is for players to work out the kinks and get ready for the season. Process matters more than results.

As for Snell, I wouldn’t have an issue with an opt out after the season in the Astros’ situation (maintaining flexibility to extend Bregman, Tucker or Framber), but $33M guaranteed is too much for five months of pitching at this point. If he wants the chance to pitch well enough to earn that $33M by achieving incentives, that’s a different story.

Not to mention giving up 2 more draft picks to sign him. Already losing 2 because of the Hader signing.

Another good point. The Astros already need to rebuild their farm system. Losing four draft picks wouldn’t help.

Snell to SFG. So much for that.

https://x.com/jonheyman/status/1769896956766388609?s=46&t=rkjPubVOfCnV-cZxzpUifw