2024 Roster

Peter Max, I think.

1 Like

Yep. I sent him the photo a Zach friend took backstage, and Max turned it into that mixed media painting.

Astros acquired recently-DFA’d OF/1B Trey Cabbage from the Angels. @Duman he’s from your neck of the woods, iirc?

Interesting. Espinosa has real promise, though we have seen him only at Lo-A Fayetteville. He has a good, live arm, registering 10+ K/IP but trouble with walks and wild pitches.

Cabbage played a game vs Astros in July.

3 for 3 w/ 2RBI

Single vs Javier
Double vs Javier
Single vs Kuhnel

1 Like

Yes, I saw him play in high school and hit a bomb over the light pole down the RF line at Pioneer Park (of course with an aluminum bat off of a high school fast ball). He was a senior at Grainger high my son’s freshman year at Greeneville high. Cabbage got pitched around a lot that year.

He made his major league debut last year at age 26 and hit .208/.232/.321 in 22 games 56 PA. He struck out 26 times while only getting 11 hits (1 HR/3 DBL)
For comparison Jon Singleton last year in 73 PA hit .194/.301/.323) at age 31 with 12 strikeouts and 12 hits.

He played 9 games at 1b, 6 in RF, 3 LF and 2 in CF.
At Salt Lake City (in his first year at AAA) in 107 games, he hit .306/379/596 with 30 HR - he hit better away from home than at SLC (away split .313/390/648). Strike outs were still an issue.

So my assessment is he has more positional flexibility and base running speed than Singleton but less plate discipline and power. Spring training battle to watch.

4 Likes

You basically answered the first question that popped into my head when I looked at Cabbage’s stats page. Thanks!

2 Likes

Declan and Cabbage is the most Irish 2fer ever.

8 Likes

Dubón won his arb case against the Astros and will make $3.5M. Astros had filed at $3M.

2 Likes

Way to go MD!

I would say that is well earned for Dubon.

I don’t have any issue with Dubon winning, but I am completely shocked. I wonder what happened in the hearing?

The comps for Dubon are staggeringly lower than $3.5M.

Nick Madrigal $1.81M
Mike Tauchman $1.95M
Patrick Wisdom $2.725M

Screw the comps. My eyes tell Dubon is better than all those guys.

3 Likes

How many of those guys both (1) won a gold glove and (2) ran a season long sight gag celebrating the team’s best hitter?

2 Likes

Well said. None of those three come anywhere close to Dubón’s defensive value across multiple positions, so they are not accurate comps.

3 Likes

Without Dubon last year, no way do the Astros make the playoffs in my opinion.

3 Likes

Ok, so does this extension (Altuve of course) in any way raise this years payroll obligations? Stros were about $3M away from next luxury tax level before this and then Dubon tacked on an extra $500k winning his arbitration. Just wondering bc if they went over it might mean Crane deciding to go even further.

Not based of what I’ve read. The new deal kicks in after this contract expires at season’s end.

1 Like

If he plays out this extension without too many health issues, he’s got a good shot at 3000.

1 Like

159 hits per year for 6 yrs = 3001

1 Like