2024 Dead Pool

It’s been closed for several years. Rice bought the property a couple of years ago. Apparently it just tore it down.

https://www.chron.com/food/article/rice-demolishes-houston-ginger-man-19393308.php

Boo. Hadn’t been there in years, used to love that place.

1 Like

It was easily the bar I’ve spent the most time in.

2 Likes

Is the Volcano still around?

Kay’s, Under the Volcano, TK Bittermans, Bama Icehouse, Ernie’s on Banks, G-man…those were the places we frequented when I lived in that area. Good times, good memories.

1 Like

The volcano and Alabama Icehouse are there, but not within walking distance for me. Kay’s is long gone, though it looks like it’s been replaced by a very nice brew pub.

2 Likes

Eldon, the owner of Kay’s, let me take a bunch of wall-hanging-stuff home when he sold it, one of my bestest Astros Buddies was a beer-slinger there. That was my after work stopping point between Greenway Plaza and my house, played many a game of Golden Tee there.

1 Like

Ernie’s is now Grand Prize Bar. Very different vibe, but I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve been.

1 Like

Kay’s was one of my hangs when I lived there, and we were especially drawn to the KTRK newsies who’d come in between newscasts and the colorful Rice profs who held anti-office hours there. I proposed to the lovely Mrs. Brand in the parking lot of the Alabama Ice House after proving I was not up to the challenge of waiting for a more romantic opportunity. It was even less romantic than you are probably imagining right now, while at least being more romantic than occuring between heaves of vomit.

7 Likes

I loved being at Kay’s when Dave Ward would pay his annual bar tab, with a personal check.

2 Likes

Was the tamale lady involved?

Bocce at Hans’ Beer Haus was also solid.

When I had visitors come over from Limeyland who made jokes about American beer being “like sex in a boat”, I would take them to the Ginger Man and enjoy having to drag them out by the ankles about two hours later.

3 Likes

Hans’ was one of my favorites. I was the first regular there.

1 Like

Not as I recall, no.

Tamale Lady at the Bama Icehouse was a thing

I drank so many beers there. My friend Jennifer was a bartender. I didn’t know it had closed, now it’s gone, Sigh

Probably the only place I drank more than The Gingerman. Kim Elston owned it. I got the chance to buy his dad, Astros broadcasting legend Gene, a beer there once. I didn’t realize Kim was Gene’s son at the time.

E.T.A.: I think, although I’m not certain, that Bitterman’s, in it’s previous incarnation as Park Lane was the sight of some of the nefarious activities and conversations depicted in the movie “Blood Simple”.

1 Like

5 Likes

Cubbie Bar across the street from the Icehouse. Solid place, great cocktails.

Where is my 90’s Rockets playoff games?