2024 Dead Pool

Joe Bonsall from the Oak Ridge Boys, 76

https://apnews.com/article/joe-bonsall-dies-oak-ridge-boys-87a2858ee6ca2517604c6d2fce79d663

Honestly I thought she died years ago. I know she was in really bad shape for a long time.

Damn. Excellent actress that had a tough go of it over the last few years. I loved reading how her career started when Robert Altman spotted her at a Houston party. At the time she was working in cosmetics at Foleyā€™s. As most Astros fans know she was then cast in Brewster McCloud. She was hilarious in that overlooked film. (If youā€™re not a fan of Altman, you probably think it should be overlooked) So many great exterior shots of Houston in 1970 as well.

Anyway, R.I.P

3 Likes

I love Colombia doing this

Not the Statler Brothersā€¦but the Other Guys

2 Likes

She was great in Nashville and was there was no one on earth more suited to playing the role of Olive Oyl.

2 Likes

One of my earliest memories is accompanying my parents to see the Oak Ridge Boys at the Astrodome ā€“ I think as a rodeo concert. If I remember right ā€“ and I must have been 3 or 4 years old at the time ā€“ they came down from the roof of the Dome on the gondola to start the show. This would have been 1982 or 1983, I think.

3 Likes

I remember this. My dad was a Livestock Committee guy for years, so weā€™d go just for the concerts when the bands were good.

2 Likes

My grandfather was heavily involved as well, maybe even the same committee. He was particularly concerned with the calf scramble. In any event, as a kid I went a million times and it never really seemed to matter whether the bands were good or not. Although that is how I saw Elvis. And the Jackson Five. And the Oak Ridge Boys. Who I always confused with the Statler Brothers and Iā€™m sure I saw them, too.

Shout out to the Committeemenā€™s Room for the free popcorn and Spanish peanuts.

1 Like

Dad hated the gladhanding and idiot O/G people, but it was part of the job (and his job as a banker), his favorite things were the Ag Mechanic stuff and working with the kids and their animals. I think he did it for 30 something years.

I somehow seem to remember Alabama tearing it up in the Dome, I remember glow sticks and such too

I remember Tennessee Ernie Ford, everybody got a plastic ā€œpea pickerā€ fork. I also remember Charlie Pride, which was a pretty good show.

I saw Kool and the Gang on a rotating stage one afternoon at the rodeo. When they finished I remember the emcee cowboy guy thanking them and saying that a lot of the cowboys like that rock and roll music.

As a much smaller kid I went with a group of older kids (my dad was a teacher, he drove the bus). I canā€™t remember the act. It may have been the Captain and Tenille. Iā€™ll ask my parents and see if they remember.

2 Likes

I grew up with a good rodeo, and would go to watch the events then leave. It took me years to realize that every one else only went to see the show.

My grandfather, Woodrow Wilson Echols, he named himself when he was six because his parents hadnā€™t gotten around to it and a consensus emerged that he needed a name in order to attend school, up until then and forever more among his family he was known as Brother, anyway, Woodrow worked at the Borden dairy for 40 years so Iā€™m pretty sure he wasnā€™t in it for the networking.

I done seen all the acts mentioned above with the possible exception of Tennessee Ernie Ford, and Iā€™m not saying I didnā€™t see him, you understand, just that if I did he didnā€™t make the impression that Charlie Rich, Mac Davis or the Osmond Brothers did.

4 Likes

I remember doing the calf scramble as a wee lad at the Blanco Cty rodeoā€¦that dirt was about 8" deep and I felt like I was trying to run in quicksand. Only reason I got my hands on a calf was because it tried to run me over

1 Like

ā€œnamed himself because they hadnā€™t gotten around to itā€ is great stuff

Yeah, itā€™s pretty strong. All true, of course. One of my idiot cousins ended up with a large picture of him on the floor of the Astrodome during a calf scramble. He was wearing his Stetson Open Road, and I always intended to get one until in an egregious act of cultural appropriation that idiot Tweedy started wearing an Open Road and I knew that people would assume I was aping him rather than honoring Woodrow and thatā€™s the sort of mistake I just canā€™t afford to be involved in.

4 Likes

Dave Loggins, 76

Though not as commercially successful as his cousin Kenny, heā€™s best known for his song ā€œPlease Come to Bostonā€ and the instrumental version of his song ā€œAugustaā€ has been used as the official theme song of the Masters since the early 80s

1 Like

I had no idea he wrote ā€œPlease Come to Bostonā€, very pretty song

Gasp!

2 Likes