2023 Roster

That probably tells you all you need to know regarding Gurriel returning.

2 Likes

Probably, but I hope someone is telling him about Gurriel’s versatility and importance in the clubhouse. I imagine Yuli is quite surprised and discouraged about the lack of contract offers from any team. I thought Crane wanted him to return in a utility role, but I guess I must have been wrong. I am clueless about who may be out there to fill this role, but I have the same strong confidence in Brown I have in Crane.

I wonder how much the knee injury is affecting his marketability. Is he ready to go or is he rehabbing?

Apparently the Astros have “recently” checked in on:

Jurickson Profar
Andrew Chafin
Zach Britton
Mike Minor

Word is Minor talks have actually gotten to money and he is asking for more than Astros currently want to pay.

I don’t see Profar adding anything that the current “MLB ready” prospects won’t. I would rather give the experience to Hensley, Diaz, or a guy like Julkes.

As for pitching, depth is always welcome.

1 spot open on 40 man.

Edit: I misread Minor and Moore.

Its Matt Moore that is wanting more than Astros are currently wanting to pay.

2 Likes

My druthers would be Britton. Unless that is a new approach to Profar, I read about a contact weeks ago.

I don’t see how Profar is a fit at all. If they can get Britton on a minor-league deal so they can kick his tires in ST, then go for it. Maybe one of those handshakes where they agree to release him with a week left in ST if he’s not going to make the big club, so that he can try to catch on with somebody else.

I think Britton fits best and could be a monster. Can you imagine last years bullpen PLUS adding Britton if he is right and healthy?

Thats assuming health. And with 6 starters + the Abreu rumors there may not be a need for another pitcher that can start.

But if the rotation does have a couple of injuries then a guy who can start like Minor or Moore would be useful.

I have also wondered if Stanek would be a 2 inning opener candidate ( like he did in TB) if the rotation suddenly had a need.

I could see the Astros using Stanek and Martinez to get through 5 innings.

Usually, at some point, a fluke pops up that causes need of a bullpen game or AAA starter brought up.

Britton has more upside (I guess) but Chafin has been more reliable.

Either sounds good to me. No idea what to think about Profar.

If your going to do a lefty, I like Chafin.

Chafin and Matt Moore were both pretty good in 2022, while Britton and Minor have not had nearly as much success in recent years. But it’s very hard to tell with relievers from the outside looking in. The bullpen is already very solid, bringing in a new lefty is just icing on the cake either way.

How pissed will other MLB teams be if the Astros let JV walk and still end up with more starter wins this year than last?

1 Like

Hasn’t Britton been hurt?

Has been off and on a few times now, but not 100% sure about last year.

EDIT: He only pitched in 3 games last year, so yeah, he’s been hurt. He only appeared in 22 games in 2021 and 20 games in 2020. Not good.

Is Houston in contact with Chafin?

If he signs at a 1 yr “get healthy to get a bigger deal” discounted deal then sign him.

Thus team has the bullpen depth to take that kind of a swing.

I’m not sure when or to what extent but twitter guy- Schwab? said Astros have talked to:

Chafin
Britton
Profar

My “friend” agreed he had heard these names then added they have had “lots of contact with”

Minor
Moore

Minor is asking for too much money and an opportunity for a rotation spot.

Moore is asking for too much money but the Astros are interested.

According to him.

Minor has long wanted to be a starter, even when he was a good reliever. Chafin’s numbers last year were good.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me, but I think Chafin could do wonders in this bullpen and I’d love to have him. The benefit that he looks like Todd Jones is purely ancillary.

4 Likes

Yuli Guerriel had been seeking $3 million. He’s still out there after turning down a few deals. He changed agents, but apparently the issue was actually his sub .700 OPS. Dusty Baker is stumping to get Gurriel back with the Astros, though the fit is tight after they signed Jose Abreu.

I have been on the " give the young guys the playing time" band wagon.

That said, this does not make any sense unless the team does not think he can handle multiple positions.

If he can play a passable 3B ( and/or 2B and LF) then this team is better with him.

And he showed he can still be productive if given regular rest in the playoffs.

I am excited to see David Hensley develop but Yuli brings too much to this team.