2023 Roster

Another joinee to the NRI ranks. 5 games with SF in 2022. MLB experience before that was all the way back in 2018. 2 years in the KBO ranks ('20 and '21). 31 year old Venezolano provides infield depth but little in the way of a stick.

Unsurprisingly given their rankings MLB Pipeline lists Murray as the most likely guy to be popped among Astros’ minor leaguers.

On the “Locked-on Astros” podcast Kenny Van Doren said that the fact that he hits right handed is the only thing that kept Corey Julks from being protected.

I see him being taken by a non-contender who can keep him on the roster all season.

BTW: He also said that Enoli Paredes wants a fresh start and opportunity away from Houston ( but has no control)

In Dominican winter league news…

Translation: Ronel Blanco has 13.1 IP without allowing an earned run, in his 13 games this season. Last night he had a scoreless IP and now he has 31.1 IP in the regular season, without allowing an earned run, from last season to here. His record in that stretch is 7-0. This year it is 3-0.

1 Like

I am counting 36 now (after Abreu) with 21 pitchers. Saving a spot for JV and one for a free agent bat, that still leaves 2 open slots. Any thoughts on whether the Astros will make a Rule 5 move?

Also, what are the chances one of the eligible players above will move elsewhere? Schreiber & Brewer are intriguing – both held back the last couple of years due to injury – and Julks could probably stick with a second-division team somewhere. Thoughts anyone?

ETA: I forgot to leave room for Yuli, so probably one spot available at most.

I’m guessing no. Nowhere to hide a pitcher in a very full bullpen.

Murray – maybe
Ruppenthal – maybe
Julks – maybe
Schreiber – doubtful
C. Gonzalez – extremely doubtful
Brewer – extremely doubtful

I expect they sign a veteran b/u catcher.

If Maldy gets hurt, Lee and Diaz are the 2 catchers and they have 69 total innings caught in MLB.

Thats not how the Astros operate.

I would argue that the guys you cited are more organizational depth than anything else at this point in their careers. Each has some upside, but nothing that warrants 40 man roster spot.

To your point about hiding a pitcher in the bullpen, the Astros could stash a reclamation project like Ethan Hankins on the IL for a good chunk of the season while he rehabs from TJ surgery. And since he’s no longer one of the Guardians top prospects (don’t even think he’s in their Top 30), I’d think a deal could be made to keep him in the minors once he comes off the IL. Big, athletic former first round pick out of high school in GA (2018); plus fastball, curveball and especially his slider also have potential to be plus pitches but need development.

I was hoping that Murray would end up being the Yanier Diaz (Straw deal) piece in the Siri deal. Fact he was not protected tells me that probably isn’t going to be the case.

1 Like

Maybe - maybe not

Diaz wasn’t protected last year.

Yes, but Diaz is a hitter and typically it is the pitchers that get poached.

1 Like

You are right.

I’m just pointing out that the Astros did not pritect Diaz and now he looks like a viable piece of the future.

Murray may not get picked ( or picked and returned) and then turn in a great season.

Not losing hope until the draft, and then maybe opening day when rosters are set.

Couple of starting pitcher depth names to keep track of in spring training and as possible callups later in the season if injuries in the rotation pile up (and guys like Bielak, JP France and Whitley falter). Both guys have had huge problems with walks but also generate lots of Ks.

[Assistant GM Bill] Firkus mentioned prospects Misael Tamarez and Jaime Melendez as off-roster options who could blossom in spring training.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-life-without-Justin-Verlander-17635241.php

Updates on some winter league numbers:

Ronel Blanco (DWL): 20.1 IP, 7 H, 5 BB, 27 K, no earned runs.
Enoli Paredes (DWL): 19.1 IP, 20 H, 6 BB, 22 K.
Pedro Leon (PRWL): doing his usual thing of whiffing at a 30+% pace. He has just 5 XBH in 26 games while batting just .198.

Leon is on his way to Bustville.

1 Like

Blanco impressed me when I saw him pitch. But I’m easily impressed.

I agree, I think he has some upside but he’s quite a bit older than you’d like.

Paredes is doing well again.

In reference to the tweet that Astros are trying to extend Framber and/or Javier.

Jon Morosi maybe?

My “friend” posted

Yup. Astros have spoken to the agents for a lot of guys on the team to see what they can get done.

Valdez and Javier aren’t a big surprise. It will be curious to see if Javier takes the money now after turning it down before, I would assume they will offer him more now and buy out 2-3 years of free agency. Framber will be harder because of his age.

Astros have spoken to agents of some surprising players. They have spoken about Chas McCormick, Brown, Abreu and Pena.

They are going to talk to the agent for Bregman as well.

I was told Tucker and Framber may be hard to sign

They once offered a long-term contract to Matt Dominguez for chrissake, don’t know why they wouldn’t try with these guys. Would be happy to get any of them locked up for a few extra years.