2023 Prospect Rankings

3.1 mill lasts a lot more than the minor league max, even after taxes. I have not made that much (or even close) over the past 10 years. He will be fine financially. He does need to show something on the Diamond, though, if he expects to stay in baseball.

I am 53, been working since I was 12 and have not come close to that my entire life.

Any idea what baseball professionals (not Law or his ilk) think of Houston’s system? Assuming it’s degraded or bottom tier, how many years could one reasonably expect a decent rebound to occur given Houston appears to be a winner for the indefinite future?

I read somewhere that in terms of keeping a team window open, you hope to have one new player come in from the minors and be a real contributor each season. If you can do that, then you’ll be in pretty good shape.

Last year we had Pena make the jump. Who do we hope will be that player this year? Hunter Brown? Maybe, to a lesser extent Hensley?

I think Brown is your most likely candidate, followed by Hensley. I also think Korey Lee, Yainer Diaz, and Justin Dirden will be in Houston at some point this season. And you could also throw Joe Perez, Forrest Whitley, and Pedro Leon into that conversation.

One thread up, from @Walt_Bond has “MLB Executive” thinking:

2023 Farm System Rankings

I think thats pretty reasonable but probably a minimum unless you are in the market for top free agents every offseason.

Just so there is measurable contribution, lets say 0.5+ WAR is a “contribution”

2022: Pena, Siri, S.Martinez, *Brown
2021: McCormick, Meyers, L.Garcia
2020: Javier, Scrubb, Taylor, Paredes, Urquidy
2019: Alvarez, Tucker, Straw, *Urquidy
2018: Stassi, *Framber, *James
2017: Gurriel
2016: Bregman, *Gurriel, Devenski, *Musgrove
2015: Correa, McCullers
2014: Springer, Marisnick, *E.Hernandez, McHugh,

• still has rookie status for following year
1 Like

I just read Whitley scrapped his change for a splitter. I swear I remember reading his change up was his best pitch as he made his rapid accent through the system a few years back. I wonder if the modifications to his mechanics to keep him healthy effected the pitch to the point he needed to go to the split?

1 Like

If moving from a change to a splitter is to keep him healthy, am a bit puzzled (which isn’t really all that unusual).

No…I think they changed his mechanics overall all a couple years back to try and keep him healthy. I was wondering if that change in mechanics negatively effected his change up…and now he’s trying the split as a replacement for the change. I’m totally guessing. Others here would know better than I if a change in mechanics could hurt the change up he once had…hence forcing him to try the split.

Come on, Billy. Think of poor Chuck.

1 Like

Fucking hell Jim…it’s even a long week alright?

…and this is why I ask my wife, “Why do you think it’s a good idea for me to help our kids with their grammar homework?!?”

Won’t someone please?

Lol.

At least its not just me.

Nope. Happens all the time.

1 Like

Hey, I do.

1 Like

I hope she said “You’re (not your) right.”

1 Like

Like any woman would tell any of you men here that.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even know how to react.

1 Like

This what she said “you’re right” to.

Translation: “STOP helping the kids with grammar right now!”