2023 Dead Pool

Your bid would have been over.

2 Likes

Bob Barker had a great run. Hate to hear that.

2 Likes

Babe Ruth hit 478 HR after Bob Barker was born.

7 Likes

12 Likes

Jimmy Buffett, 76.

Bummer.

https://twitter.com/jimmybuffett/status/1697853740752179630/photo/1

4 Likes

Man, sorry to lose JB. He was a staple of growing up in Florida in the 70s. He also reminded me of my best friend who passed away last year. Just a reminder to enjoy the good times while you can.

3 Likes

One blurb called him the Mayor of Margaritaville, which I think is perfect.

2 Likes

Wow.

I have problems picking mangoes in supermarket. Too raw. Picking fruit and vegetables is an art.

Mike S and I played the hell out of A1A and Son of a Son of a Sailor end of summer ‘98 when our parents and I drove him out to go back to school at American University in DC on our family road trip.
Plus, I am a huge fan of his early stuff and played it incessantly in the late ‘90s-early ‘00s during flight training and at my first airline.
This is a tough loss.
Rest easy, Jimmy.

3 Likes

I was familiar with, Why Don’t We Get Drunk, Pencil Thin Mustache, and Come Monday when I decided to buy A1A. I saw him a couple of times circa 1975-77. Then, for no good reason other than ignorant youth, I started rejecting a lot of contemporary rock music in favor of fusion jazz/rock and punk rock. I was aware of his successes after 1977 and was impressed that he had developed a cult like following. I know a few hardcore Parrot Heads and also was acquainted with the Mayer brothers as St Louis area musicians before they joined the Coral Reefer Band. I also like the fact that he didn’t take himself too seriously and wasn’t above writing a novelty song. I was probably most impressed with Buffett’s business savvy. The guy turned himself into a multi-billion dollar brand. I guess I was always a fan, even when I wasn’t.

3 Likes

Bill Richardson, former U.N. Ambassador and Governor of New Mexico has died aged 75. RIP, Bill.

I was once in a meeting with oil and gas regulators in New Mexico and who should wander into the conference room? Gov Richardson. He shook everyone’s hand, and sat down to listen. He was pretty quiet. Seemed like a good guy.

3 Likes

I’ve seen unconfirmed reports that JB’s had been fighting melanoma.

Merkel cell skin cancer.

I had no idea he was that old.

Well, his music is timeless, Limey/Ray.

1 Like

Wastin away again in the East Indies
Searching for a trade route to that salt

Yeah — He got his start playing mandolin for Queen Elizabeth I.

2 Likes

Steve Harrell, lead singer of Smash Mouth