2023 Dead Pool

Heartbroken.

3 Likes

I live half a block from Griff’s. Would be devastating for the neighborhood to lose it.

1 Like

Really? Did you spend much time there? If so I imagine we’ve crossed paths a few times. My rule was always to live within a half mile of Griff’s until life required additional considerations when deciding where to live.

You had me then you lost me.

1 Like

This sucks.

1 Like

Never a regular, I actually went there more during law school, before we moved here. Haven’t had as much reason to go there since I quit drinking but it’s such a fundamental part of the neighborhood and I would hate to lose it.

Was Deb still teaching pretrial lit when you were in law school?

I wasn’t necessarily a regular, but lived a couple of blocks away on Hawthorne St. I could walk in and stumble out. There’s also a story involving my wife and I dating way back in the day and her introducing me to her new boyfriend there on St. Patrick’s Day, while she was parked in my driveway.

Alas, my old house is gone, replaced by some high-rent condo things. I get depressed driving through that neighborhood now.

Nope, but my pretrial lit class carried on the tradition of meeting there a couple times. Just walked down and took this:

1 Like

It’s amazing how much that neighborhood has changed. Griff’s was a true relic in a city that too often eschews its own history.

1 Like

Thanks for the picture. When I was studying for the bar exam, Deb told me to do 90 minutes of study every day and then go do anything else for the rest of the afternoon. Then I should come to Griff’s at 6:00pm and if I put in my 90 minutes she’d buy me a shot. Best study plan ever!

1 Like

NOOOOOO!
The owners are Texas Tech grads and boosters and a Red Raider could always feel at home in Griff’s. I used to live near there years ago. I loved Griff’s Aeros Army back in Sam Houston Coliseum days. So many memories.

So sad.

Robbie Bachman of the rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive has died aged 69.

That’s fantastic. And in general a great philosophy for bar prep. I worked my ass off seven days a week between the hours of eight and noon—then I fucked off and did whatever I wanted/needed with my afternoons and evenings. Great way to balance the work/stress with some sanity/self-care. Her wisdom found its way to me somehow I guess.

Four Tech degrees between the two of them. Griff’s signature shot is the Red Raider Slut.

1 Like

Fuck that sucks. Many a good time was had there, it was on the shortlist of places I “have” to visit again next time I’m in Houston.

1 Like

Robbie Knievel, daredevil and son of the legendary Evel Knievel, 60. From pancreatic cancer.

1 Like

Damn. There are no good ways to go, but pancreatic cancer is well near the bottom.

3 Likes

At least it’s fast, or it was with my grandmother

I was about to post something similar. My FIL died from it. He was a physician and diagnosed himself.
Not what you would ever choose.