2023 Dead Pool

RIP Currents have been really bad and people are ignoring double red flags at gulf coast beaches

I’ve seen some unconfirmed reports that he went in after a family member. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

If that is true that is the second person I have heard of who has died that way that I have heard of.

University of Texas professor John Goodenough has died aged 100. He’s the reason we have battery powered stuff. R.I.P., professor, and thanks.

2 Likes

It can happen to the best of them. Bill, Lapenta, a friend of mine, managed nine National Weather Service offices, including the coastal and stream bed flood and dangerous condition alert programs.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/amp/news/story/top-meteorologist-drowns-swimming-rough-surf-spite-weather-66026082

2 Likes

Julian Sands. He has been missing for some time after failing to return from a hike, and has now been declared dead.

They found his remains.

2 Likes

Good actor, first remember him from The Killing Fields.

I just seems so unusual in this day and age for something like this to happen. Not trying to start a conspiracy; just curious as to what happened.

Terrible weather, there was another hiker who died at the same time and area

1 Like

People get lost and die on hikes seemingly every other day. They fall into canyons from hiking trails too. Not sure why you think this one is unusual.

2 Likes

I guess I’ve never really paid attention to that before.

There was that awful story from Big Bend last week where a father and his two sons all died on a hike.

Also this one:

1 Like

This is almost a daily occurrence in Arizona.

1 Like

Seems like it happens frequently everywhere and not only to inexperienced hikers.

2 Likes

My dad’s most terrifying close call was as a teenager in the early 60’s, mule deer hunting in iirc the San Juan National Forest. Weatherband radio forecast called for light snow, so he heads out before dawn, but about 2pm here comes a total whiteout blizzard, 10ft visibility. He knew which direction he left in, and up which mountain, so he starts walking back down. There was a stream about 100ft from the cabin, and he knew which way the water should flow to get him home (don’t remember if it was up or downstream), so he starts following the stream. Everybody else had made it back and were on the porch shooting rifle shots into the air every 30 seconds, dad said if they hadn’t done that he would have walked right past the cabin and then who knows what?

I was never a Boy Scout (Weebelos!), but I got the outdoorsy common sense, survival skills, and gun safety drilled into my head at a very young age.

2 Likes

Everyone who hikes should always have a compass and a topographic map. And most importantly, know how to use them.

Nah…the cellphone with google maps will work just fine, right?

Or just swallow an Apple air tag. Either one should work.

1 Like