2023 Dead Pool

Ashby could say some interesting things. His biggest problem was that he called the whole game in the same tone of voice as the Terminator demanding your clothes and the keys to your motorcycle…

You’re talking about early Ashby, radio Ashby. Post-Toronto Ashby was completely different. Canada took all the starch out of him and what remained was just semi-creepy bland banality.

2 Likes

I never liked his faux-folksy, “I’ll explain it to you like you’re 5” style.

1 Like

You have to cater to the fans, and you have to cater to the newbies, but he treated everyone like it was their first ballgame.

That was my complaint about McCarver. He also annoyed me by explaining basic things as though he was the first one ever to figure it out.

I’ll hasten to add I did not think he was a bad broadcaster. He was intelligent, articulate, explained things well, and knew baseball. Some things he did, though, annoyed the hell out of me.

2 Likes

Right, but what I’m telling you is that he wasn’t like that doing Yankees games 25 years ago. At all.

I’m pretty sure it all starting going downhill when Fox presented Scooter the talking baseball.

Here’s my list of broadcasters in Vin Scully’s league:

Red Barber

End of list.

3 Likes

It started going downhill when Mrs. Jack Buck had one drink too many one night.

1 Like

Actually, I know Joe - that’s not cool OF.

I gained a lot of respect for Joe Buck when I watched Brockmire.

5 Likes

Stella Stevens

Richard Belzer.

4 Likes

Sad. Another great American beauty from my youth.

1 Like

Red McCombs- 95 years old.

2 Likes

He was a classmate in HS of my mother and uncle in Corpus Christi. They considered him a friend and he seemed to stay pretty humble and down-to-earth through the years.

2 Likes

Wayne Shorter, master of the saxophone, has died aged 89.

3 Likes

Was getting ready for work in San Jose streaming KCRW and they mentioned he was the only one who’d bring music to Miles Davis and Miles would never change it because he admired him so.

2 Likes

David Lindley, guitar virtuoso and master of almost any stringed instrument has died, aged 78.

sigh

1 Like

Oh, man, that sucks. His version of Mercury Blues is my favorite.

1 Like