2023 ALCS Game 7

For me the #1 reason is because we lost to the rangers. Had the Astros lost to Baltimore or Tampa I’d feel much better

6 Likes

Because that end was an utter fucking collapse in back to back home games?

4 Likes

Fuck that noise. Those two losses would have been nut kicks if they were against Chico’s Bail Bonds.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s where I am too.

I’d say Altuve and Yordan are the two must-haves, with Pena, Tucker and Dubon the next level.

Brantley I worry about his health

Bregman I want to know WTF happened to his plate discipline

Bregman’s discipline collided with completely unpredictable umpiring. I’m more concerned about his unwillingness to swing at middle-middle pitches.

2 Likes

Bregman’s biggest problem isn’t the pitches called off the plate, it’s his stubborn refusal to swing at those in the middle of it.

2 Likes

Alex played in 161 games and had 28 doubles.

That’s down from 38 last year in 155 games.

In 2018 he had 51.

98 rbi is nothing to take lightly, but he has not driven the ball in the gaps consistently like he did at his peak in 18/19 for quite a while.

His notoriously slow start extended into a slow middle this year. Production early in the year can lead to Ws that count just as much as the ones in September.

I guess all that is to say he’s productive, but the other corner infielder had 90 rbi in 20 fewer games.

If he wants to get another extension here great, but it can’t be for MVP type dollars.

Does anyone have Bregman’s numbers in the 2 spot compared to other spots in the lineup? It always seemed like he sucked.

He hit the vast majority of the time in the 2 spot this season, so it’s hard to say. Slightly better than he did hitting fourth. Career wise, same. He’s been about his average self hitting second, because that’s where he’s hit the most. His highest OPS is hitting 7th, but smaller sample size and all

Thank you, makes sense

Feel that Bregman is likely to leave and there is more than a small chance the Astros will miss him.

Bet that Bregs rediscovers his plate discipline, and will likely thrive under the improved managing that Dana Brown is going to find for the good guys. Plus, contract year focus wont hurt.

Also wonder if bregman would welcome a move in order to get his mlb reputation rehabilitated by performing for another team. I doubt that Tucker and especially Alvarez care when idiots boo them at all-star games. Altuve is forcing mlb to respect/like/love him by his continued excellence. But i think that Bregs does care and has hopes of having a Cooperstown career. Showing up big in NY or Philly or some other fucking team i despise would do a lot to help him make it.

To his credit, i do not think bregman would sign with the biggest offer. I think he loves winning and loves playing in the post-season. I think he would give the Astros a discount if he thinks they’re going to keep winning past 2024.
I doubt he will come to that conclusion.

In what universe is Bregman having a potential HOF career?

2 Likes

One in which the strike zone doesnt expand because of the uniform he’s wearing. But my point is that he wants a HOF career, not that he’s had one.

I’m lost. Doesn’t he already have great plate discipline?

PLATE DISCIPLINE IS NOT HIS PROBLEM

3 Likes

His problem isn’t an expanded strike zone, it’s that he takes too many pitches in the strike zone. Bregman hasn’t gone downhill because umpires are out to get him.

And you don’t start up a HOF career on the backside of 30. He may want one, but he also probably wants a pony. Only one of those is a reality.

2 Likes

We have about five identical hitters slotting into the batting order, so #2 always seems like an awkward fit when high power rbi men are put there. Only Alvarez positions at #3 or 4. He must have men on base when he bats.

Bregman already owns the exact number of ponies he wants. He wants more rings than he has. Really doubt that he considers himself to have no chance at a HOF career.

The second he signs with another team i will give zero thoughts/fucks about him and will continue not to give a fuck if he gets into the HOF or not. Wont wish him any ill…like Correa and Springer, just grateful for the contribution he made when he played for the astros.

The bluenoses among the voting journalists for HOF could treat Astros’ nominees as they did the steroid generation from 1998-2010. JV is certain for the Hall, and Altuve probably gets a year or two delay like Bagwell got because steroid scalps were needed.

1 Like