2023 ALCS Game 7

Maybe…been thinking about this same thing regarding Peña.

For so much of this year the Astros seemed like three raccoons in a trench coat, a bad team impersonating a good team. How could they even function with so much wrong with them? But they held it together almost to the very end…

7 Likes

Sad part is, is that no one knows this better than this Astros team. They have been the embodiment of poking the bear for years now. I couldn’t watch the end of the game or the celebration and interviews but I’m sure Maldy’s words were reiterated in mockery: The worst thing they did was wake up Adolis Garcia.

1 Like

Bregman is a tough call for me. A really tough call. There aren’t good free agent options out there after next year…I don’t think. And it isn’t like we have a stud 3B option waiting at AAA. He isn’t worth much more than the $20M average AAV his current contract is worth, if you ask me. I think he’s gonna want more than that.

I didn’t either, but I’m pretty sure “We wanted Houston…we GOT HOUSTON” was said over and over and over and over and over…

Zach Dezenzo is probably your best bet, but it’s questionable if he can stick at 3B defensively and so far he hasn’t hit will in the AZ league. Swing and miss was his negative calling card coming into the system. He fixed that in Ashville but like herpes it came back with a vengeance in Corpus and has continued in AZ.

You are probably right about Bregman and the chances of retaining his services. I’m hoping that the last few years have humbled him a bit and that he wants to be an Astro-lifer. If he does, then I’m hoping there’s a reasonable number that can make both sides happy.

2 Likes

Most of those idiots couldn’t have named 4 Rangers before the season started.

They don’t bother me.

They’re irrelevant.

3 Likes

Part of the calculus for Bregman, Altuve, etc. will likely be ‘just how much longer can this run continue?’ Even if the Astros offer competitive money, they may be concerned about the team getting gradually worse over the course of their contracts.

Agreed.

I hope Altuve gets a Biggio type contract that keeps him in an Astros uniform until he decides to retire.

1 Like

The 2024 FA list

It’s just a matter of how much Altuve is willing to sacrifice to be ‘Mr. Astro.’

Biggio and Bagwell signed their final contracts believing that the team would probably be contending throughout, and they were mostly correct. Bagwell played his last game in the World Series. Biggio only had to play through one un-competitive season at the very end. But anyone signing on for a 5-6 year contract with this team after 2024 is probably in for a couple of very rough years at the end.

Altuve has become the most important player in Astros history. I think they’ll do everything they can to keep him an Astro for life. Bregman? He’s a fungible commodity. Tucker is under control for 2 more years. I don’t get the handwringing over him at this point.

7 Likes

Click did such a great job with the bullpen. It’s not a huge need for next season, but I am interested to see what Brown can do.

Not sure how Brown can get it done but a solid starter would be welcomed.

Watching the Space City Network postgame/post mortem.
Astros went 10-22 at home in their last 32 home games.
Ho. Lee. Shit.

1 Like

The inability to win at home completely defies explanation.

1 Like

Dadgummit. Darn. Dang.

I didn’t really enjoy that game.

Tomorrow is another season.

1 Like

If they duplicate their home record for 2022, they win a total of 106 games. Yet they only won 90 games. I don’t get it.

1 Like

“more” is an understatement.

There is a phrase in statistics called a “Gambler’s Run,” a way of noting how possible it is for a series of events to occur with randomness. Say, flipping a coin 10 times and having it turn up heads 10 times, should happen one in 1,000 times if the coin was truly “fair.” If it happens, check the coin or the flipper.

The missed HPU “ball and strike” calls- every “miss” going the Rangers’ way- were essentially impossible if the umpires were not biased. We should not cower on this issue. Crane will cower, though- he has to.