2022 Sugar Land Space Cowboys (AAA)

It is pleasing to see that Meyers is having a lot of success hitting. Hopefully he will gain a boost of confidence that will carry over to next spring.

2 Likes

The more I think about it the more I expect Meyers to be put on the playoff roster.

I think the team’s best chance is if 2020 Jake is back. The team should promote him ( in place of Y.Diaz who isn’t playing) and give him a few of the last 8 starts to test him.

Even if they just use him as a defensive replacement and/or pinch runner he helps the team. Dubon is a weaker overall defender in CF than Jake was at his worst.

A.Diaz, Dubon, and Hensley are so similar defensively it makes sense to leave one of them off.

Dubon is my preference with Hensley being the most likely.

No way Hensley gets the nod over Dubon. And Y.Diaz gives them flexibility at C.

You are absolutely nuts if you think Dusty’s favorite player on the team is getting left off the postseason roster.

4 Likes

I agree with you.

Thats why I said eventhough I would pefer Dubon left off, Hensley is most likely.

Although Click makes the decision. Does he have the guts to piss Dusty off?

If Meyers is on the team, there is nothing Dubon does that can not be done better by someone else on the team.

I expect 14 position players in ALDS

11 starters with A.Diaz/Yordan/Mancini sharing LF/DH and Maldy 75%/Vazquez 25% catching.

Other 3 from
K Lee or Y.Diaz
Matijevic
Dubon
Hensley
Meyers

Dubon gives you a ton of versatility in that he can literally play anywhere. Diaz (the infielder) can play the infield and left, but you don’t want him in right or center.

Dubon on a playoff roster can fill any spot other than catcher, has decent speed, can hit enough as a replacement.

Meyers can play the 3 OF positions, can run, hasn’t hit for shit this year. Dubon makes infinite more sense than rolling the dice on a guy that hasn’t hit big league hitting well at all.

You’re reaching hard enough to pull a muscle trying to sell Meyers as anything but a dice roll on a playoff roster in 2022.

1 Like

I agree that Dubon’s versatility has value.

I’m not a Dubon hater.

However I do not think he should ever play CF except in an emergency ( a la Tucker). He is not good there.

As for Jake I like him and feel bad about his injury last post season.

But if there was a reasonable option as a backup CF I would be all in with letting him continue working until the spring without another shot.

But this team as constructed has no viable backup CF.

As bad as Meyers was he was better than Dubon IMO

The numbers and eyes say otherwise.

Dubon is not a great CF, but if used properly in a platoon with Chaz, he’s perfectly serviceable.

Meyers has done nothing in the bigs this year other than look awful both throwing and hitting.

I hope he is the long term answer, but unless he is given the chance to show up and does at the end of the year, there’s no way he’s on the postseason roster and playing in the playoffs.

CF is too important to have a guy with a dead arm that also can’t hit.

3 Likes

This is what I don’t get. Jake was clearly just lobbing balls in from CF before he went back down. In his current state he brings nothing that Chas doesn’t also bring. Why are we worrying about this?

1 Like

Lack of better topics?

I wish I could find 2022 stats on throwing MPH and accurancy.

I simply have not found it. I expect Dubon is better but have no idea how much better.

As for hitting they are essentially equal. The difference is that this is who Dubon is while its the absolute floor for Meyers:
avg: Dubon .209, Meyers .209
Ob%: Dubon .256, Meyers .255
Slg: Dubon .294, Meyers .302

Fielding, even in this bad year Meyers is exceptional while Dubon is about average.
Dubon -1 outs above average
Meyers +6 outs above average

All flies w/ 90% or lower expected catch:
Dubon 10 out of 22
Meyers: 16 out of 24.

Reaction: Dubon +0.1, Meyers 0.0
Burst: Dubon +0.7, Meyers +1.9
Route: Dubon 0, Meyers +0.8
ft/sec vs avg: Dubon +0.7,Meyers+2.7
av ft covered:Dubon 35, Meyers 37.6

( from baseball savant)

So at his worst, Meyers is slightly better than Dubon.

What is the risk in seeing if he has recovered?

Perhaps, and I’m just spit-balling here, they know that he’s not recovered. After all, they actually watch him every day.

You’re also ignoring the not insignificant fact that Meyers plays three or four fewer infield positions than Dubon.

1 Like

If he’s not recovered and they know it thats a different matter.

But he’s hitting the ball hard in AAA. There’s no physical reason why he can’t hit it hard in MLB.

But the stats show that terrible 2020 Meyers was at least as good as Dubon.

And with Aledmys on the team, Dubon’s infield versatility isn’t needed.

But again I expect Dubon to be on the roster at the expense of Hensley ( or Matijevic)

Uh… what?

Versatility is crucial in the playoffs. Having a guy that can play above average anywhere on the field is ABSOLUTELY needed, and ignoring that part of Dubon’s game is absolutely crazy.

4 Likes

I guess my opinions are not shared by many.

I believe there is a point of diminishing returns and balance is important.

At some point no more back ups are needed for a position.

If the team has Pena, A Diaz, Hensley, ( and Bregman in an emergency) for a 5 game or 7 game series, how important is it to add another player because he can play shortstop?

Now if people were arguing Dubon needs to be on the team because they need at least 3 guys who can play CF and the Astros won’t put Tucker there then I would agree with that.

Who said anything about shortstop?

Dubon being able to ably fill any position in the park other than catcher is the most balanced thing you can have for a bottom end of the roster.

If it’s late in a game and you need to PH for someone or want to sub in for defense, Dubon can go anywhere and fill that spot. If you need a runner for Maldy/Vasquez and want to double switch, Dubon can run then play wherever in the lineup. His ability to fill in just about anywhere at a high level is an enormous weapon.

Having players like that in the postseason is invaluable, and nobody in the right mind is giving up that versatility for a flyer on a guy that has been putrid in the bigs this year.

1 Like

I was just using shortstop as a hypothetical example for my opinion.

The same can be said for every infield position he plays, and adding Meyers to the OF was the original point so his OF versatility does not apply.

I inderstand the value but that value is diminished if there are multiple other players who can also fill in

I feel that with that diminished value the chances of the team to win the World Series with a different player, with different skills, would improve.

Who let someone in their right mind in here?

3 Likes

Okay, sure. A less versatile player, that plays less positions, who was run on with absolute reckless abandon all year, who was bad enough to get sent down and not be brought back up even when rosters expanded is definitely the missing piece on this team to win a World Series.

I give up.

2 Likes