2022 MLB Draft

Braves traded three prospects to the Royals for a competitive balance pick (#35) - got the nice slot money to go along with it in the trade.

You say the x axis is presumably chase rate. How is that defined? From your observation, seems like a high number is better, but that seems counterintuitive for something called “chase rate.”

Also, why isn’t Melendez on that chart? Dude gets little respect. I have no idea how he stands next to others, but the guy showed noticeable improvement year over year, and in my experience, not enough teams properly value signs of improvement. I’ll take the guy who recently improved to level X over the guy who’s been hanging out there for a long time.

Think of it this way. A guy sees 100 pitches out of the strike zone but swings at just one. His chase rate is low (1%) but he scores in the 99th percentile. That’s what that x axis represents.

That’s actually an oversimplified explanation but hopefully will suffice.

3 Likes

I think that’s it exactly.

Surprise…not

1 Like

And this graph is all MLB teams collectively. Note that 2020 was an outlier because the draft that year was only 5 rounds and with teams still drafting the elite HS players in the top rounds that will skew the results.

I got to see him play a game earlier this year. He had a weird Julio Franco type thing going with his stance.

2 Likes

Also see Cam Collier. EV near 100, top 5 in plate discipline and hasn’t even turned 18 yet. Was projected middle of first round a couple months back but been seeing him projected to go in the top 5 picks here lately.

Brown hit .330/.460/.544 for Coastal this spring with 39 BBs vs 28 Ks after hitting .282/.375/.476 in the Cape last summer. BA says he has a “chance” to stick at SS and posted this video on Facebook of that swing…

Then the pitchers will never know what hit 'em

Had to look it up…'ole Julio had over 100 PA’s in his last season at the age of 48!

It will be interesting to see if implementing draft and follow this year will impact this trend. IIR, 2006 was the last draft with the draft and follow. Only two years have had a higher % players drafted and one was the very abbreviated 2020 draft.

1 Like

It only applies to HS players going to JUCO, right

Correct. HS players going to JUCO or JUCO players returning to a JUCO. If you go to a 4 year school you are not eligible for D&F

2 Likes

Kiley McDaniel has been doing mocks for ESPN since June 1 so I’ve added him on…

Baseball America
Version 1.0: RHP Peyton Pallete, Arkansas (underwent TJS in Jan.)
Version 2.0: LHP Connor Prielipp, Alabama (underwent TJS in May '21)
Version 3.0: RHP Justin Campbell, Okla St (6’7" & drafted by Astros in 18th round back in '19)
Version 4.0: RHP Landon Sims, Miss St (TJS in March)
Staff Draft: LHP Connor Prielipp
Version 5.0: RHP Blade Tidwell, Tennessee (missed 6 weeks early in spring w/shoulder soreness)

MLB Pipeline
Version 1.0 OF Jud Fabian, Florida (elite CFer who draws walks, has pop but whiffs a lot)
Version 2.0 OF Jud Fabian
Version 3.0 OF Brock Jones, Stanford (also played football as freshman but now focusing on baseball)
Version 4.0 3B Max Wagner, Clemson (.369/.496/.852 w/16 HRs in last 22 regular season games)
Version 5.0 OF Jacob Melton, Oregon St. (.364/.427/.669 and can play CF)
Version 6.0 OF Sterlin Thompson, Florida
Version 7.0 OF Sterlin Thompson
Version 8.0 RHP Cade Horton, OU (rising up draft boards due to his outstanding work in postseason)
Version 9.0 OF Drew Gilbert, Tennessee (CFer who whacked at a .362/.455/.673 clip this spring)

The Athletic/Keith Law
Version 1.0 OF Jud Fabian
Version 2.0 OF Chase Delauter, James Madison
Version 3.0 LHP Connor Prielipp

ESPN/Kiley McDaniel
Version 1.0 RHP Blade Tidwell, Tennessee
Version 2.0 C Dalton Rushing, Louisville (.314/.401/.514 in the Cape last summer)

I know, best player available, but it’s still hard to see them going C in the first round with Lee and Diaz knocking on the door.

This is a kid out of Panola College (Southern Miss commit) but I’m really just posting it here as a sampling of what this account is churning out…

Sterlin Thompson has been listed a lot in mocks. He was on Minors and Majors last weekend and said he has played a lot of OF because it has been best for team, but he still considers himself an infielder. Played SS through HS and says he also feels comfortable at 3B/2B.

BA’s latest mock has the Astros taking Oregon State LHP Cooper Hjerpe at 28.

Their “Dart Throw Later Picks”: Coastal Carolina SS Eric Brown, Illinois State OF Ryan Cermak, Florida HS 3B Sal Stewart

Not just BA but also MLB Pipeline/Law/McDaniel out with new mocks in the past few days so updating for all…

Baseball America
Version 1.0: RHP Peyton Pallete, Arkansas (underwent TJS in Jan.)
Version 2.0: LHP Connor Prielipp, Alabama (underwent TJS in May '21)
Version 3.0: RHP Justin Campbell, Okla St (6’7" & drafted by Astros in 18th round back in '19)
Version 4.0: RHP Landon Sims, Miss St (TJS in March)
Staff Draft: LHP Connor Prielipp
Version 5.0: RHP Blade Tidwell, Tennessee (missed 6 weeks early in spring w/shoulder soreness)
Version 6.0: LHP Cooper Hjerpe, Oregon St (led D1 with 161 Ks this spring)

MLB Pipeline
Version 1.0 OF Jud Fabian, Florida (elite CFer who draws walks, has pop but whiffs a lot)
Version 2.0 OF Jud Fabian
Version 3.0 OF Brock Jones, Stanford (also played football as freshman but now focusing on baseball)
Version 4.0 3B Max Wagner, Clemson (.369/.496/.852 w/16 HRs in last 22 regular season games)
Version 5.0 OF Jacob Melton, Oregon St. (.364/.427/.669 and can play CF)
Version 6.0 OF Sterlin Thompson, Florida
Version 7.0 OF Sterlin Thompson
Version 8.0 RHP Cade Horton, OU (rising up draft boards due to his outstanding work in postseason)
Version 9.0 OF Drew Gilbert, Tennessee (CFer who whacked at a .362/.455/.673 clip this spring)
Version 10.0 OF Sterlin Thompson

The Athletic/Keith Law
Version 1.0 OF Jud Fabian
Version 2.0 OF Chase Delauter, James Madison
Version 3.0 LHP Connor Prielipp
Version 4.0 LHP Carson Whisenhunt, ECU (missed spring after being suspended for banned substance)

ESPN/Kiley McDaniel
Version 1.0 RHP Blade Tidwell, Tennessee
Version 2.0 C Dalton Rushing, Louisville (.314/.401/.514 in the Cape last summer)
Version 3.0 OF Brock Jones