2021 Sugar Land Skeeters (AAA)

Yep, my back yard landscaping project is stalled until everything dries out. There’s blue sky behind this current line of storms so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they can squeeze it in today. Dollar dog Monday.

Hope Springs Eternal

I had no idea MLB/MiLB had a “designated weather delay waiting area” or that there were time limits on being in it.

Coincidentally, it’s the exact same space as the “designated waiting for the game to start” space, I’m sure.

1 Like

Framber had a rough first inning with some very iffy defense behind him. Gave up 6 hits and 5 runs with a lot of ground balls. Seemed frustrated by the defense but settled down in the second and third innings and had a lot more swings and misses.

How much of that really was the D and not just him getting hit hard, but on the ground? Do they release exit velo numbers for minor league games yet?

1 Like

No.

Grand slam Siri

I’m officially a fan of Ronnie Dawson and am rooting hard for him to carve out a future in the bigs.

https://www.facebook.com/1162849898/videos/pcb.10226605920151863/10226605913831705

I wasn’t at this game but I was at the double-header on Monday and saw him do something similar to this. He went out of his way to fist bump a kid on the first row through the netting and smiled wide and said “I’m Ronnie, nice to meet you.” You could tell he was sincere and genuinely cares about winning over those young fans.

Just a really classy move by a ballplayer who gets it.

I believe Dusty was really high on De La Cruz coming out of spring training.

Small sample size for me (one game), but he butchered a makable play in CF in that one. I wondered (silently of course on an Express broadcast) why he was in CF and Siri was in RF.

Rayo?

I wonder if he’ll get a call up any time soon. I read he has had too few ABs to know anything, but he certainly is hot so far.

I know it is still May, but I also wonder what Click is thinking about this team and about Baker. This team is good enough to win a championship, but tweaks in the roster are necessary, IMO, key guys have to get healthy, inconsistent good arms are hurting in the late innings, and Baker is an anvil the team is carrying around.

2 Likes

The biggest issues preventing his call up are that he is not on the 40 man roster and that he K’s 29% of the time. That and the fact this this outburst doesn’t match his history. He hasn’t hit over .300 for a season since he was 18 in rookie ball. His best full season year was 2017 in Low A when he hit .293/341/.530 and had a K rate of 24%.

In 43 games over 2 seasons of AAA batting, his line is .258/.311/413 with 55 Ks in 168 PA (33% K rate). Those numbers INCLUDE this years 13 games.

In 167 games in AA, his line was .242/.308/423 with 217 Ks in 688 PA (32% K rate).

For his 8 season minor league career, his line is .267/.315/454

He has all the tools and he had a great winter league season where he raised his BA 86 pts, OB 88 pts, and his slg 16 pts. This was with almost exactly the same number of PA (3 more in 19/20 over 20/21). Even with those increases, his line in winter ball was no where near what it is now.

Maybe he figured something out in the lost season last year. I would expect the Astros are going to want to see where he is at 150 AB before they make a move.

1 Like

I do understand all that, Steve. Really I do, and we have a few recent examples of AAA phenoms who could not make the jump to the bigs successfully.

Still, I also want to see if this guy has figured out something or if he is a AAAA hitter. A superior glove but a not great average seems like an improvement to me.

I also find it strange high K rates generally are tolerated unless it can be used by management to explain not calling up a hot hitter.

The 40 man roster impediment is a real problem.

yep the biggest hurdle by far.

Abraham Toro was activated off the 7-day IL and is back in the lineup tonight.

The club still hasn’t announced a corresponding move with Framber Valdez pitching tonight. Safe to assume it will be Paredes back to AAA? Or Emanuel to the IL?