2021 Sugar Land Skeeters (AAA)

Trying to remember Mike’s home run call. It is, I think:

“PLAYER’S NAME, TAKE A BOW!”

Then I am supposed to say something appropriate to the moment. We have a rapport because we are long-time friends, and we develop a rhythm.

Siri is still hot: 2 hits and 2 more RBI. He also did some showboating and hot- dogging which I personally do not like, but no doubt that is just old school me. He also played RF, not CF, and De La Cruz looked absolutely terrible on his one semi-difficult chance in CF. DLC had 2 hits and 3 Ks.

Not sure what to say about Conine. He pitched five shutout innings, and that is good, but his FB sat at a rather pedestrian 89-90. He is a bit fidgety on the mound and never looked completely comfortable to me. He appeared to get stronger as the game progressed.

The star of the game, at least on defense, was Sierra at 2B. He made two All-Star plays and one very good one. He also hit a HR, and Mike said he has skipped AA to move from A ball to AAA.

I’ll answer questions if I can, but this is what stood out to me. The Skeeters are raking at the moment.

1 Like

Anything memorable stand out from Ronnie Dawson?

Nothing outstanding. I think he had a hit (or maybe two) and made routine plays in LF. I remember him from 2019 RR, and Mike spoke highly of his character.

[Framber] Valdez threw 25 pitches in the bullpen at Minute Maid Park prior to Friday’s game under the watchful eye of team trainers, manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Brent Strom. Valdez will begin a Minor League rehab assignment with three innings Sunday for Triple-A Sugar Land in Round Rock against the Express. He is expected rejoin the rotation in June.

1 Like

Sweet, I’m looking forward to seeing Framber in person. I’ll be at the Dell tonight and tomorrow.

Yeah, I don’t get my 2nd shot until Tuesday or else I’d drive over for a game. Next time we’re in town…

Siri was 1-5 last night with 3Ks. He struck out with the bases loaded to end a 6-5 blow the lead loss. Whiffs are more what was expected of him than his current .400+ batting average. Mark and I are going out today to watch Framber.

1 Like

Good game from DeGoti with a triple and a HR. His triple barely missed clearing the top of the wall in center for a two-homer game.

Rained buckets in RR/Austin yesterday so Framber’s rehab game was a no go. Mark and I consoled ourselves at a couple of watering holes, one of which was new to me. Mark is my beer/brewery/beer place guru and guide.

I caught word of the first delay so I showed up at 2 pm right before they announced the second delayed start for 3pm only to postpone the game a half hour later. The early start time was the difference because if they had started anytime after 4 pm they could have played the game under perfect skies. It was a great weather weekend for baseball at Dell Diamond otherwise. Not looking good for today’s double header though.

That’s assuming there wasn’t a ton of standing water.

It rained like crazy for the entire early afternoon. It was reported to my dad that the dugouts were bench deep in water at one point.

The skies were blue, but the fields were under water. Mike told me the dugouts were full of water over the benches.

Oops, did not see Mark’s post.

Very true, the outfield grass was a lake and I stuck around and watched the grounds crew remove the tarp after the last storm while I finished my IPA. The Express social media account touted their stadium drainage and crew so I’m only going off what they publicly said, and it seems like it was as much a matter of MLB covid protocols as field conditions. Regardless, disappointed we didn’t get to see the Framberlamps yesterday. I might head over to the Dell this afternoon just in case they are able to play.

Covid? WTH do you get that? It was 100% rain and field conditions.

From the Express?

1 Like

Interesting.

and bs.

Not looking good today either. Dumping rain at Dell Diamond.

There’s thunderstorms in the area off and on for pretty much the next week. This afternoon is the last sun you’ll see for a while.

1 Like