2021 roster

Also don’t forget to factor age into the equation.
Toro - 24 still likely hasn’t hit peak
Jones - 27 likely near or at peak

I like Jones too. I wonder if he got regular at bats would he develop like JD Davis has? He projects as a plus defender in his profile. Wonder if you could give him a shot at first base and utilize Yuli as the infield rover rather than spending money on Diaz who can’t stay healthy? Is that totally insane?

I don’t see Dusty taking the starting 1b job away from Yuli.

After all, look at RF last year.

If he wasn’t willing to sit Reddick in favor of Tucker then no way he sits Yuli in favor of Jones.

Maybe at his age, Yuli needs more off days, Maybe Jones can handle LF? ( unlikely I admit)

But I agree that Jones ( and Toro) need regular ABS and AAA can’t benefit either of them any more.

The team has holes to fill.

Just like when they had to decide between Moran and Davis, they now should trade either Jones or Toro.

I think Jones profiles as a better everyday starter ( although shorter timeframe) and has less trade value, so would trade Toro.

From the Athletic Article linked above here is Kaplans trade value assessment:

Jones - Trade for a lower-level prospect that doesn’t need to be on 40 man roster. Can play 3rd but behind Toro and Diaz as backups to Bregman

Toro - Depth is important and he could play important role in 21 if injuries strike. Trade now might be selling low after he looked overmatched in 2020. Return would be less than they got from J. D. Davis.

1 Like

Not that I expect that there would be much info out there, but has anybody heard anything about Alvarez’s rehab?

Just this tweet last month:

This is a welcome sight on this Monday.

Yordan Alvarez is running again, post knee surgery. This is him running towards the 2021 MVP award. (@YordanAlvarez2’s IG) pic.twitter.com/B1s4qeoTWP

— Michael Schwab (@michaelschwab13) October 26, 2020
and this one last week

Yordan Alvarez getting some training in. Looking good 💪 pic.twitter.com/mjGcN8Lc91

— Michael Schwab (@michaelschwab13) November 25, 2020

Thanks!

I wonder if the “new regime” feels the same about his ability/inability to play first base?

If you’re talking about Alvarez, I’m pretty sure everyone just wants him to hit. If you need him to fill in at 1B in pinch, fine, but his position is “batter’s box”.

2 Likes

Astros with the expected move and released Sneed so he could make that move to NPB.

Roster now at 38.

1 Like

He was designated for assignment

who moves on again to the Nationals.

What will be the roster size for this season? Clubs are still waiting to hear says Rosenthal. Could be what was originally anticipated for 2020: 26 players with a max of 13 pitchers. Or perhaps the 28 player limit that 2020 actually ended up being. Nobody knows at this point.

Just like most of you, I have come to the conclusion that George Springer has played his last game in Navy and Orange.

That said, I feel like its in the best interest of all parties for the Astros to make him an offer ( a big offer) and them move on.

I would like them to offer the standard 5 yr $125 mil that has been predicted + a 6th year option $20 mil w/ a $5 yr buyout.

This has several advantages

1. it defines whether or not it is realistic to continue pining for him or move on. Spending on another OF is basically impossible until this is defined.

2. It would give a clear message to Astros fans that the team and owner clearly want to keep winning and/or keep fan favorites Astros for life.

3. For George it would guarantee him $5 mil more than he is predicted to get and ( depending on structure of option) $20 mil at his age 36 season. That could be huge for him or market could make this an insignificant amount.

I think the option year is key and is essentially a one year contract.

They say there is no such thing as a bad 1 yr contract. But the right one year contract can be a huge benefit.

If it needs to be a players option or vesting option to make it happen so be it.

If he does not sign, then the team can sign 2 other OF without worrying about spending the money if they still have a chance

Furthermore, if he does sign, I would hope the team then tries to sign Bradley instead of Brantley.

I am slowing coming along to a few realizations.

1. George is a perfectly good CF but needs to transition back to RF sooner rather than later as he progresses further into his 30s. And less wear and tear protects the investment.

2. Brantley is going to require more and more DH time as time moves on and that needs to be Yordan’s spot.

3. an OF of Tucker-Bradley-Springer is superior/faster/younger than an OF of Brantley-Springer-Tucker

4. according to MLB Trade Rumors, Bradley would save the team $12 mil over 2 years vs Brantley. Thats a good veteran RP or depth SP.

I think Bradley is a must-get regardless of whether they also get Brantley. Without one of Springer or Bradley, the everyday OF defense looks pretty ugly unless there’s a trade in the works.

2 Likes

I agree Waldo. Bradley is the only every day starting center fielder on the market. He’s also the best defender available. He is a MUST even if we have to overpay slightly. Need to get it done.

Springer is gone. The Astros as not going to pay what the Blue Jays or Mets will cough up. If they were, they most likely would have locked he or Correa up already.

Changing gears here, but after seeing how little the Angels gave up to acquire Iglesias from the Reds, I must admit I’m a little disappointed. I know good and well we could have offered better given our depth of young arms. We could have used an experienced arm like that in our pen. It tells me that either Click is asleep at the wheel or we are about to be really, really cheap with our off-season.

1 Like

… Or that the “depth of young arms” are expected to be a lot better than the tired old one we would have gotten in return.

1 Like

It seems a little irresponsible for the Commissioner’s Office not to make the announcement regarding roster size by now.

He’s still waiting on the Yankees to give him the number.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that’s a CBA issue

1 Like