2021 MLB Draft

At pick #148 (5th round), the Astros take Wright State OF Quincy Hamilton. Not on the MLB Pipeline board (they only go 250 deep) and all the way down at #431 on the BA board. He hit .374/.535/.771 this spring for Wright State with a career-high 15 homers, 18 doubles, 20 stolen bases and almost twice as many walks (56) as strikeouts (32). But (A) it was the Horizon League (B) Wright State plays in a hitter-friendly stadium and (C) when Hamilton on the few occasions he faced premium velocity his numbers wilted. CFer in college but projected to be a corner guy in the pros. [All the foregoing per BA.]

Really appreciate these summaries, Walt.

2 Likes

So the first four picks were two high school kids and two college players from non-elite baseball conferences.

Interesting.

I’m sure they are swinging for the fences trying to make up for getting F’d out of their first two picks.

Soft tossing RHP Spencer Arrighetti to the Astros at pick #178 (6th round). The Cinco Ranch HS (Katy) product ended up at ULL after first attending TCU and then went the juco route at Navarro. Known for his slider apparently. All the way down at #429 on the BA draft board and unranked on the MLB board. Listed at 6’2" 186 lbs.

So make that two high school kids and three college guys from non-elite baseball conferences with their first five picks.

And Arrighetti has signed…

My first thought on seeing the Hamilton pick was that–since he’s a 5th year senior–the Astros might have been looking for a budget pick to help beef up the payday for Whitaker. Hamilton’s offensive numbers are on par with those from his teammate, Tyler Black, who went 33rd overall in the draft, but they context you mentioned is almost certainly why Hamilton lasted so deep, despite having the third best OPS in D1 baseball this year.

Why do you think that? I’m under the impression that most of these picks seem pretty at-slot or below type guys.

I’m not being critical of the picks cause I haven’t seen any of these guys, and firmly believe criticism should wait three to five years, but the Astros draft so far seems more conservative than some other years. Just my impression.

Just because that is where they are projected/slotted, that doesn’t mean they are agreeable to sign for that slot amount. Especially the HS kids. It often takes an over slot bonus to break a commitment to a D1 school.

Not discounting the possibility of an underslot deal but theoretically he had one year of eligiblity remaining correct? 2020 didn’t count. So whatever he signed for wouldn’t have been the typical $10K senior deal.

And yes he has signed…

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1414683571927846918

At pick #208 (7th round), the Astros take Duke OF Joey Loperfido. Breakout season for the Blue Devils this spring going .374/.473/.612 and was MVP in the ACC tournament. Lefty hitter. Listed at 6’4" 195 lbs. Played 1B as a freshman, moved to 2B his sophomore year and then played CF in 2020 and 20221. #243 on the BA board and unlisted on the MLB Pipeline board. Possible utility guy if he ever makes the bigs says the BA writeup.

And he has signed…

I fully understand that, and my impression remains

UCF lefty pitcher Colton Gordon to the Astros at pick #238 (8th round). Not on either the BA or MLB Pipeline draft boards. Listed at 6’4" 225 lbs. 72 Ks vs 13 BBs in 55 IP this spring before (as Mike S noted below) going down with TJS. In his one matchup against an elite team this spring, went 7 innings against Ole Miss and allowed just 1 run on 6 hits while whiffing 6.

Middle Tennessee State RHP Aaron Brown to the Astros at pick #268 (9th round). Not on the MLB Pipeline board but #430 on the BA board. Listed at 6’4" 220 lbs. 113 Ks vs just 15 BBs in 85.2 innings this spring for MTS. BA says his 7.53 strikeout to walk ratio was 10th best in the country among D1 pitchers. They also say his FB sits 90 but up to 95 on occasion. Has a good changeup but lacks a decent breaking ball.

Dusty’s son Darren Baker goes to the Nationals in the 10th round at pick #293.

Gordon also had TJ surgery this year.

U of South Alabama outfielder Michael Sandle to the Astros at pick #298 (10th round). Not on the BA or MLB Pipeline boards. Listed at 5’10" 185 lbs. Hit .313/.389/.522 this spring. Nice run at the NCAA tournament at the Gainesville regional. Only 5 games but against Miami, U of Florida and USF he went 9-20 with a double, triple and 2 homers.

He has inked…

Recapping the first 10 rounds for the Astros:

1 HS outfielder
1 HS shortstop
4 college pitchers (MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, C-USA)
1 college outfielder (ACC)
2 college outfielders (Horizon, Sun Belt)

This quote is hilarious to me.

Does this mean Whitaker is going to sign and forego Arizona??