2021 MLB Draft

Seems to be some movement toward Leiter over Rocker. Dallas Jesuit HSer SS Jordan Lawlar has also joined the conversation for #1 overall pick.

Still no pop but Darren has performed quite well this season as thru 46 games he leads Cal in batting average (.332), OBP (.410) and steals with 25 (no one else on the team has more than 7). Those 25 swipes ranks second in the PAC 12.

Latest mock draft from BA drops Leiter to #4 (Red Sox) and Rocker to #7 (Royals) as the closer we get to the draft there seems to be less and less consensus at the top.

ETA:
And the latest mock from MLB Pipeline has Leiter going at #2 (Rangers) and Rocker at #6 (D-Backs).

It’s draft day.

Except for the Astros of course.

Check back on Monday when the club makes its first selection with the 87th overall pick.

Louisville catcher Henry Davis went #1 overall. No mocks had him going that high. Undoubtedly the Pirates cut the best underslot deal they could to allow for additional bonus money to play with later in the draft.

Rangers get Leiter. I guess we’ll find out if those signability threats are real.

Still no Rocker. Seems like people are outsmarting themselves.

I must have slept thru it but I don’t remember any signability threats.

Oh, he is throwing out numbers, trying to scare teams 1 thru 3. They were trying to get to the Red Sox.

Okay. Not doubting your word just missed the reporting on that…

To the Mets at #10

Oh, so he’s a Ranger who wants to be in Boston? Now I really hate him.

2 Likes

The Rays just took Kyle Manzardo with the last pick of the second round. I was hoping the first baseman would be there when we made our first choice.

Wow…

Madden, btw, was #9 on the MLB draft board, #12 on the BA board and #12 on the FG board. I have not seen an explanation as to why he fell all the way to the Tigers at #32.

1 Like

Twenty four picks away from our first selection and technically 39 of the top 100 players are still a available.

Appears to be a good value pick by Houston with their first selection. Astros chose Tyler Whittaker a high school outfielder out of Bishop Gorman. He was ranked 37th best prospect and fell to 87. Don’t know why unless signability is in question.

#37 on the MLB Pipeline draft board and #60 on the BA board entering the draft. 3 plus tools they say: pop, speed, arm. Can play all 3 outfield positions says BA but MLB Pipeline says corner guy. Listed at 6’4" 190 lbs.

Another HSer for the Astros with their pick in the 4th round at #117. SS Alex Ulloa out of Calvary Christian Academy in Fort Lauderdale. Oklahoma State commit. MLB Pipeline had him ranked at #165 and questioned his ability to stick at short and consequently having to slide over to 2B. Even further down the BA draft board at #257.

He’s committed to Arizona but they just changed managers.

Ball State RHP Chayce McDermott to the Astros at pick #132 (compensation pick for George Springer). #127 on the MLB draft board and at #163 on the BA board. Nearly 23, missed the 2018 season after undergoing TJS. Listed at 6’3" 197 lbs. MLB Pipeline says that he sat “92-96 and reached 98 with his four-seam fastball in 2021 while showing the ability to carry mid-90s velocity for several innings at a time”. 125 Ks vs 36 BBs in 82.2 IP this past spring.