2021 International Signing Period

The so-called “Cuban Ohtani” is ranked #2 on MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 list of international prospects (ahead of Pedro Leon who is at #7). Although I’m listing him here, note that as Kiley says Colas would maximize his bonus if he were to wait until the 2022 signing period.

1 Like

Michael Schwab reporting Pedro Leon will 100% sign with the Astros on January 15th, which is the start of the international signing period.

2 Likes

I do not subscribe to Baseball America so did not see their recent top 10 prospects.

However I did read the transcript of a chat dedicated to questions on it.

One fan asked where Leon would fall in the list and the analyst answered " outside of the top 10"

:grinning:It costs nothing to read the 2021 Top Prospects Lists thread:

With the appropriate caveats (we’ll know more once he’s actually in the system and playing), says Pedro Leon “would be outside the top 10”.

1 Like

Sorry. I missed that.

And thank you.

The complete signing list (thus far anyway) with reported bonuses:

Pedro Leon, of, Cuba – $4MM (per Baseball America and others)
Brayan Nolasco, of, Venezuela
Richel del Rosario, of, Dominican Republic
Yamal Encarnacion, ss, Dominican Republic
Dawrin Rosario, rhp, Dominican republic
Carlos Arcila, c, Venezuela
Freilyn De Pena, rhp, Dominican Republic
Juan Soto, rhp, Dominican Republic
Miguel Ullola, rhp, Dominican Republic
Elvin Villega, rhp, Dominican Republic

List per Astros press release

Only reported bonus i’ve seen so far is for Leon.

Information contained in the press release for each of the signed players…

PR also contained this quote from Gonzalez who’s been involved in all of the Astros’ Cuban player signings:

Updated signing list with reported bonuses:

Pedro Leon, of, Cuba – $4MM (per Baseball America and MLB Pipeline)
Brayan Nolasco, of, Venezuela
Richel Del Rosario, of, Dominican Republic – $300K (per MLB Pipeline)
Dawrin Rosario, rhp, Dominican republic

List per Astros press release and Baseball America

Per MLB Pipeline Del Rosario is the only player (besides Leon ofc) to sign for a bonus of $300K or higher.

So Cuban baseball writer Francys Romero has posted about the Astros signing a couple of players from the island over the last 4 months…

Despite signing months ago, the contract signed by the 19 year old Cruz would not have been effective until after the IFA signing period commenced 10 days ago. The fact the Astros chose not to announce the signing in their press release issued Jan. 15 suggests a hiccup in his signing. Whether that simply means a delay or something worse remains to be seen.

As far as Gonzalez, his age and likely bonus (not reported yet but given where the Astros are at with their remaining bonus pool I would suspect that it’s not a huge amount) probably suggests a player who until he demonstrates otherwise should be organizational depth.

So you are telling me that Juan Soto isn’t 21? I am shocked.

Technically I guess the wrong thread but Romero reporting yet another Cuban player signing but this one won’t be effective until 2022. If you count the 3 players reported by Romero in recent months, then I believe that makes 25 Cuban players signed or acquired by the Astros in the last 7 or so years.

Can you explain all the agreements that are taking place well ahead of the deadlines where they are allowed to sign on the dotted line with teams and make it official? Is this a deal where we hope/think Alberto H will sign with the Astros or does history tell us that based on this kind of news that it’s a 99.9% certainty he will sign with the Astros?

Is this there some kind of a gentlemen’s agreement out there between teams that when I player agrees with a team before the deadline that other teams won’t try and meet with is agent and offer a better deal prior to the official deadline?

Sorry for all the questions. If you don’t answer my feelings will not be hurt. Also appreciate all the info you provide to the forum.

1 Like

A good primer on what goes on in this somewhat shady area is this article from last year in USA Today:

Those are all handshake agreements and while reneging does occur from time to time it’s fairly rare (though that article says otherwise). As far as teams poaching players signed by other clubs prior to the actual signing date, i haven’t heard of that really happening. But…there is enough paranoia that it could happen that once a player has been verbally signed they essentially disappear at that point. You no longer see them on the showcase circuits in the Dominican, etc.

I do think this is an area ripe for reform. Maybe in the form of the long-discussed draft involving international players.

Great feedback Nate and good article. Thanks Nate!

I have said this a bunch, but if you haven’t watched the documentary Ballplayer: Pelotero you really need to. If nothing else to be amazed that Miguel Sano has put on 100 pounds in the last decade.

I’ll second that recommendation.

Thanks Duman. Definitely going to put it on my “need to watch” list.

The 2021 Astros Media Guide does not list Norel Gonzalez so whether he was actually signed or not is still in question. Perhaps it was simply an oversight by the media relations department given the late date of his signing.

Narbe Cruz is listed however with a signing date of Sep. 16. I can only speculate that he was actually signed during the 2020 international signing period (which would have ended on June 15) and that under the special vetting that Cuban players have to go thru via the commissioners office it didn’t become effective until September.

1 Like

Further updated list of players signed Jan. 15:

Pedro Leon, of, Cuba – $4MM (per Baseball America and MLB Pipeline)
Brayan Nolasco, of, Dominican Republic
Richel Del Rosario, of, Dominican Republic – $300K (per MLB Pipeline)
Anderson Sanchez, of, Colombia
Darwin Rosario, rhp, Dominican republic

List per Astros press release, the Astros media guide and Baseball America

BA in a recent article by Ben Badler identified Nolasco, Del Rosario and Sanchez as players to watch (along with Leon ofc).

1 Like