2021 Corpus Christi Hooks (AA)

Catcher Tyler Krabbe (19th rounder, 2019) was released. Cesar Salazar (7th rounder, 2018) moves up from Asheville to take his roster spot.

1B Jake Adams (6th rounder, 2017) was also released. He had managed just a .465 OPS in 27 games for the Hooks.

Adams always showed promise, but was never able too deliver (apart from an occasional ā€œAdam Bombā€). Sad he couldnā€™t put it together, but not surprised at all about the news.

OF Matthew Barefoot and P Tyler Brown promoted from Asheville today. Barefoot was 17th and Brown 30th on that recent BA Top 30 Astros Prospects list.

Thatā€™s the second jump this year for Barefoot, correct?

Correct

And still no shoes?

No shoes required

1 Like

Hit it damn near across the harbor.

Thatā€™s not in CC.

From Amarillo!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what makes the harbor shot even more impressive

2 Likes

Kick off your shoes and throw em on the floor

1 Like

I had been ā€œfollowingā€ Barefoot in a way I loosely follow players until I can put my eyes on them. I never looked at his physical stats, but saw that he played lots of CF and just assumed he was thinner, or lankier. Long story short, heā€™s stouter than I assumed. Any ideas on how well he handles CF defensively?

Heā€™s not a tall, thin guy like Tucker or our most recent OF draftee. RF for sure and CF maybe as needed (from what Iā€™ve been told, donā€™t quote me). Heā€™s struck out way too much in A and A+ ball. Thatā€™s what to look at in Corpus and beyond.

Heā€™s gone from low A to high A to AA this year, thatā€™s gotta say something, right?

From a recent articleā€¦

Hidden

The Astros rank Barefoot as a plus runner, Putila said. He shows a plus throwing arm at times, but needs to improve on his routes and reads as a center fielder. Barefoot plays all three outfield spots, but the Astros believe he could have the speed and upside to stick in center.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing he is at least part Native American.

Also, I sure hope this is his walk-up music.

1 Like

He could dance up to the batters box.

Barefoot with his 20th homer of the season tonight. Heā€™s 2 steals away from joining the 20/20 club. I read yesterday that the only minor leaguer with 20/20 numbers thus far this season is SS Bobby Whitt, Jr. who is the third overall prospect in all of baseball.

2 Likes