2021 Corpus Christi Hooks (AA)

As was Kyle Serrano (21 Ks in 8 IP with a 1.63 WHIP).

Both debuted for CC today and both struggled. Tejada gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and a walk in 2/3 of an inning. Serrano wrestled with the walk demon (of which he is intimately familiar) and gave up 5 free passes in 1.1 IP.

So Peck was recently placed on the injured list and the Astros called up Jonathan Sprinkle from Fayetteville as a replacement. Sprinkle like Peck is an NDFA from last summer (from Jim Crane’s alma mater U of Central Missouri). He had whiffed a whopping 21 batters in just 9.2 IP for the Peckers though he had also walked 9. In his debut last night for the Hooks, Sprinkle gave up a run on 2 hits while K’ing 2.

Catcher Korey Lee with the promotion to the Hooks and homers in his first game.

2 Likes

At the same time Lee was promoted, Stubbs was demoted to Asheville.

The natural order to the universe has been restored.

1 Like

Why do I suspect that Joe West or Angel Hernandez were involved somehow.

Jimmy Endersby promoted from Asheville. He’s the third NDFA pitcher signed last summer to reach AA joining Hunter Peck (who’s on the IL) and Jonathan Sprinkle (who’s now back down with Asheville).

27 year old Cuban 1B/LF Norel Gonzalez was signed to a smaller bonus this past January (amount was unreported which almost always means a 5 figure amount). He hit .217/.288/.500 in May for the Hooks in his first exposure to US ball. In June he’s hitting at a .412/.516/.686 pace. His .984 overall OPS for the season ranks 3rd in the Texas League.

Outstanding in his AA debut last night: just 1 run allowed on 2 hits and 2 walks in 6 IP with 10 Ks.

Ok, this is amusing.

And just 3 Ks in 33 plate appearances for the Hooks…

1 Like

I keep seeing these on twitter and assuming it’s the previous day’s dinger getting shared again. What a roll he’s on.

Looking forward to seeing the Hooks next Tuesday in SA.

Alex McKenna and Joe Perez get promoted to the Hooks.

ETA:

Certainly the most interesting team in the system right now with seven top 30 prospects including Pedro Leon, Hunter Brown, Korey Lee, Grae Kessinger and Scott Manea along with McKenna and Perez.

The intrigue might vanish quickly but a number of guys not on prospect lists are still putting up interesting numbers thus far: Cuban 1st year player Norel Gonzalez (.296/.383/.570 and whose OPS ranks 4th in the AA Central) and LHP Jonathan Bermudez (62 Ks vs 10 BBs in 43.2 IP and whose strikeouts rank 2nd in the league and has a 1.12 WHIP that ranks 6th). Outfielder Marty Costes and his .438 OBP is good for 2nd in the league. And props to RHP Jimmy Endersby who in his first professional season has already reached AA and whose first start for the Hooks was absolutely dominant: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K.

I wish Round Rock was still AA so I could see the Hooks this year.

Ballgames in Corpus make for a solid road trip.

I know. I grew up there.

I went to the Hooks game in San Antonio last night and after and hour and a half of waiting around for it to start, they cancelled the game. Apparently the grounds keeper in SA is having problems keeping the field in shape after all the Summer League play and rain. The umpires rule the field unsafe for professional baseball. More rain off and on today, so who knows if they will play tonight, I’m not sure I want to risk going again.

Bermudez now leads the league in Ks with 85 in 58.2 IP and has walked just 13. Tied for 5th in WHIP at 1.14.

Nice throw. From the knees too.

1 Like