2020 Rule 5 Draft

Jake Kaplan wrote an article for the The Athletic about a week ago identifying key players who need to be protected this year. Players have to be added to the 40 man roster by Nov. 20 and the draft is on Dec. 10. Kaplan’s list:

• RHP Forrest Whitley

• SS Freudis Nova

• RHP Jairo Solis

• RHP Tyler Ivey

• RHP Jose Alberto Rivera

• RHP Peter Solomon

Everyone knows Whitley but those next four guys are also top-ranked guys in an already thin system. MLB.com has Nova as the Astros 2nd-ranked prospect with Solis at #8, Ivey at #12 and Rivera at #14. Solomon comes in at #27 but was pitching quite well when he blew out his elbow nearly two years ago (and more importantly that report from Jim Callis that he was looking strong recently in fall instructional league).

Six guys needing protecting and just four open spots currently on the 40-man. Some interesting decisions in the next two weeks.

In my opinion, that, more than any other factor is why Garneau is a free agent.

Maybe there is a young controllable starting centerfielder out there that could be had for 2-3 mid-level pitching prospects?

And of course there are guys who have spots on the 40-man today (Jack Mayfield, Cionel Perez, et. al.) who might not have spots tomorrow thereby freeing up room for either the guys above or for free agent signings.

I wouldn’t expect either to get drafted but INF Luis Santana and OF Ronnie Dawson are also Rule 5 eligible.

ETA:
And Jayne has a list of all the players in the organization who in her view are eligible.

So of the players noted above, Jose Alberto Rivera was the only player left unprotected.

Interesting. I honestly thought he’d be one of the guys protected (although, perhaps last on the list).