2020 Rule 5 Draft

Astros take RHP Joe Record from the Twins org in minor league phase.

Record was a 28th round pick of Minnesota in 2017 (he and current Astros minor leaguer Shea Barry were teammates that year at UC-Santa Barbara).

Record had TJS and did not pitch in 2017 or 2018. Saw his first action in 2019. In time split that season between lo and hi A, whiffed 68 versus just 16 walks in 55 IP. Scouting report (prior to surgery) said he touched 95 on the heater.

Also in minor league phase the Astros select RHP Seth Martinez out of the A’s organization.

Martinez was a 17th round pick out of Arizona State in 2016. Used exclusively out of the bullpen in 2018 and 2019. At time split between hi-A and AA in 2019, he posted an 0.95 WHIP in 71.2 IP with 74 Ks.

And the Astros lose catcher Chuckie Robinson to the Reds in the minor league phase.

Summing up:

Lost
RHP Jose Alberto Rivera (major league phase–could be returned)
OF Drew Ferguson (minor league phase–gone forever)
C Chuckie Robinson (minor league phase–gone forever)

Added
RHP Joe Record (minor league phase)
RHP Seth Martinez (minor league phase)

Unless Rivera shows tremendous progress in his command, he will end up being returned.

Or the Angels only plan on pitching him against the Astros and other AL West contenders to “take out the competition”

1 Like

Latest update on Jose Alberto Rivera in Angels’ camp:

Rule 5 Draft pick Jose Alberto Rivera, a right-hander, was late to camp, which has limited his exposure to the coaching staff. He’s not expected to see enough action to make the club. Rivera will have to be placed on waivers, and if no team claims him, he must be offered back to the Astros for $50,000. “It’s difficult for him right now,” [Joe] Maddon said. “I’m not saying it’s impossible. It’s just difficult.”

The usual visa issues were the reason for his lateness. Rivera has thrown one clean inning for the Angels in “A” games with one whiff.

I would love to see him back in the org.

1 Like

Hopefully not an injury issue here…

Agent Rivera

Does anyone know when we can expect some news about the players and draft 2021?

I know that the CBA expiration and negotiations may change the draft itself

But I am hoping to find some news and commentary about the Astros “Bus riders” and potential roster moves.

I doubt we’ll here much about the Rule 5 draft until the CBA is sorted out.

As I’m pretty sure we discussed in another thread, the draft is post CBA expiration and could be substantially altered in any new agreement.

As I posted previously in a different threat ( as currently laid out) the Astros had 61 players who needed to be added to the 40 man roster or exposed tobthe rule 5 draft.

4 of those players have elected free agency, so it’s down to 57.

There are currently 2 spots open on the 40 man roster.

Nov. 19th is the deadline to protect players from the Rule 5 draft. I expect some 40 man roster moves a few days before that.

I don’t have the full list of players eligible for the Rule 5 draft, but my understanding most of them are best viewed as organizational depth - i.e. not at great risk to be selected by another club, nor a great loss if they are.

You are right, as is the case almost always. When 50+ players are eligible usually only a few are likely to be taken and/or considered future MLB regulars.

But there are a dozen or so that the Astros must make a decision on.

I learned the sad truth about “roster fillers” early in my coaching career. I had a pitcher during my first stint at McCallum who was sneaky fast and had a great 12 to 6 curve. He was not drafted but was quickly signed to a free agent contract. He was thrilled beyond words to play professional baseball, but the organization had no plans for him after the first couple of years. They needed warm bodies to fill out their rosters; he was one and was released fairly quickly in his “career.”

A scout told me why he was signed. This practice may be necessary for the clubs but is borderline cruel for the player who has no clue about it.

1 Like

Hope is a powerful thing that will keep you playing a sport you love for meager pay and bad living conditions because there is a chance you might make it. And that is why it was so easy for MLB to downsize minor league teams. Plenty of those guys around.

2 Likes

Admittedly from the outside looking in

But from news I have read, the treatment of minor leaguers is on the upswing.

And with fewer of them, then it seems like a higher percent actually have a chance.

But it is sad how “hope” and calculated words from the organization have hurt many over the years

I think “hurt” is may be strong because the players do make a choice and have free will. For some kids, it was actually a positive.

I saw many kids come through rookie ball who forever will be able to say they were a pro baseball player because they spent the summer after college playing as roster filler on a rookie ball team.

For some international kids. Being a roster filler in rookie ball for a third year was a better career path than anything they had at home.

The part that was inequitable was for kids who were strung along or who passed up other options like a college scholarship or a job opportunity. Again players have a choice. The romanticizing of minor league ball experience as a reason for keeping pay low and living standards sub par is the part most former players take issue with.

I do not know what other options my guy had, but the people who signed him were not honest with him. He was not Division One good, but he was good enough to play at smaller schools. I do not know if he had any college offers. He jumped at the chance to play pro ball, as I would have also at his age.