Your top 10 all-time Astros/Colt 45s

Bob Aspromonte was an early favorite.

3 Likes

As I noted in a recent post, Colbert wasn’t traded. The Padres got him in the expansion draft.

1 Like

Well now I’m thinking of Bobby Abreu.

Man, would he have been nice hitting between Biggio and Bagwell for 6+ years.

2 Likes

I was incensed as a kid about that. How could they just take him? He’s our guy!

I didn’t appreciate that the Astros ha done the same to other teams just a few years earlier.

1 Like

Where’s JR Towles??

3 Likes

thanks for the clarification…I’m an old now and the memory ain’t what it used to be…gracias.

That is quite enough of that.

2 Likes

Maybe my all-time favorite. I will probably get around to posting a short list sometime, but Nellie Fox (mentioned above) will be on it too. And Johnny Temple might make the cut.

1 Like

had forgotten about Temple.

they told me this would be my golden years… :grin:

At the rodeo I reckon.

2 Likes

1 Like

Casey Candaele and Charlie Kerfeld would be on my list.

2 Likes

I had forgotten about Grote.

My oldest son is a Dodgers fan and as a birthday gift last year I made a binder showing every player that had played (in MLB) for both teams. It had both Astro and Dodger cards for each player along with years and facts for each player. ( some players had no cards so I just had to print pictures in that teams uniform)

Grote was briefly on the 1981 Dodgers team but not on the playoff roster vs Astros.

Fun fact: Bob Aspromonte was the last BROOKLYN Dodger to play in a MLB game.

5 Likes

I was happy with it. Here’s a sample page.

1 Like

my Dad was so mad that we kept Bateman and lost Grote…my Dad called Bateman, ‘lardass’ :grin:

1 Like

One of my favorite all-time plays was Bateman failing to score from 3rd on a double.

1 Like

Speaking of John Bateman, you can follow https://twitter.com/JohnnyBateman7. It’s basically a guy (Ken Webster, artistic director of the Hyde Park Theater in Austin) roleplaying as Bateman.

2 Likes

ha!!

I liked Miller, too. He just wasn’t a very good hitter, I’ve got his book, though.

1 Like