World Cup qualifying

Um, Chuck: Panama down 2-0 to Honduras? What is going on?

I’m pretty sure I know what Warren Zevon would say.

Geez, who knew that the baseball gods were also soccer gods? Panama comes back to win 3-2.

Meanwhile, dos a cero rides again for USMNT over El Tri

1 Like

Honduras is almost always really good. There was a nice stretch there when they were better than Costa Rica and easily able to compete with Mexico in an honorable way. At that time several of their better players played for the Dynamo.

Panama’s team 8 years ago was sort of like the Astros team in 2019. That was probably their best team, and they didn’t make it to the WC. We needn’t revisit that in any great detail.

Four years ago as some of you may recall Panama for the first time qualified for the World Cup. It was glorious. The qualification was glorious, anyway. The reality of being literally the worst team at the World Cup was sobering. But it was a nice reward to a group of players who were just past their prime but had worked hard and in many respects done well.

The coach who took them to the WC was this crazy Colombian dude named Hernan ‘Bolillo’ Gomez. I don’t really feel like getting into why and how he’s as crazy as he is, I just mention him because he is now the head coach of Honduras.

As I’ve said before, in this round of qualifying (and the previous round, now that I think about it) Panama has had some truly remarkable ups and downs. Mostly downs. I mean, they lost to, I don’t even remember now, Barbados, Bermuda? Some fucking cricket playing island with 300,000 inhabitants, you know, that sort of deal.

In order to qualify, Panama really had to win both games this series, today’s against Honduras and Wednesday’s against a surprisingly spry El Salvador. I basically gave them no chance today. But here we are. Hope is like bowling pins.

2 Likes

Who gives a fuck now, everything you just said above is incredibly lame.

Next year that might work.

GGG finally got out of his way and started our best lineup.

El Tree losing 3 in a row. Lol

1 Like

To whom was this broadside sent???

1 Like

I wondered the same thing, but then decided it was sent to all of us. I’m going to copy it, and from time to time just paste it randomly into conversations.

6 Likes

Wasn’t meant for here, can I blame it on a new phone and callused fingers?

The rye had nothing to do with it, promise

1 Like

Who gives a fuck now, everything you just said above is incredibly lame.

Next year that might work.

6 Likes

golf clap

1 Like

I was hoping he was replying to me. I’m of course aware that I have the ability to annoy Lefty, sometimes when I’m not even trying to. But this, I don’t know, that would have been a new one. I’d have really elevated my game somehow.

4 Likes

Lefty had a number of cranky posts last night. I fear someone sold him some rotgut.

1 Like

I’m not even interested in who he was originally responding to. It’s too good where it is.

1 Like

Herniated disc and a bottle of whiskey is a sketchy combination.

Apologies to all, let us never speak of this again.

4 Likes

A neurosurgeon is much better than a bottle of whiskey. I have had two of them (herniated discs, not bottles).

2 Likes