Winter Leagues 2020-2021

Video of the HR included in this tweeet.

Tatis and Canó showing up is obviously cool and all, but Estrellas' best hitter all year has been Astros shortstop prospect Jeremy Peña…

And he just knocked a 2-run tater to extend Estrellas' lead. pic.twitter.com/teGCuvmG4V

— Céspedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) December 27, 2020

Jesus, that was a laser beam.

1 Like

So, how close is Pena? Gets his feet wet this year with chance to start 2022?

I’d be extremely surprised if he didn’t make an appearance with the big club at some point this season.

As far as 2022 and beyond, it all depends on the bat. If he can build on what he’s shown in FIL and in LIDOM with a strong performance at the plate for Sugar Land this year, then sure he’ll get his shot next year as the starter.

Assuming Carlos is gone of course. If the Astros somehow re-sign CC, then Pena becomes interesting trade bait.

Pena looks promising. So does Nova. We are strong in our system with pitching and middle infielders, not so much at ourtfield, first and catcher.

So, let me throw out a hypothetical just to see your reaction. I’m bored and there is very little Astros news. So, let’s assume the Astros have decided already that they can’t resign Correa after this year because the money is prohibitive with Altuve and Bregman already locked up.

Would you make the QO to Correa next year and just let him go for the pick, or would you try to trade the one player you have who is locked up, young and would bring the best package, Alex Bregman? Then use the money you save from trading Bregman to lock up Correa and eventually moving him to third when Pena is ready to take over short.

Bregman, who is locked up for 4 years, could fetch you major league ready talent at positions where we lack major league ready players, like outfield, catcher and first base.

Trade to the Blue Jays for L. Gurriel, Alejandro Kirk and Chase Martin or Rowdy Tellez. That forms a great young core for years to pair with Tucker and Alvarez while still having influential veterans like Correa and Altuve to help bring them all along.

Trade to Dodgers for Keibert Ruiz, Matt Beaty and Zack Reks or Luke Raley.

Again, I’m bored and just want to start some discussion. Our system is thin after the trades Luhnow has made. That isn’t a criticism. Was needed at the time to try and win and was the right move. Just wondering how we keep our window open, extend it, and get younger at the same time.

Flame away!! I said I was bored.

I would be hesitant to make that bet simply because Correa has shown himself to be more injury prone than Bregman.

1 Like

Absolutely true. Very valid point. I would hope, in that scenario, the Carlos could stay healthier playing third.

Our system has just gotten thinner over the last few years and the sanctions have certainly hurt. Just pondering ways to get younger and improve for the long haul. Yuli starting to look old and we don’t have an every day option behind Maldonado for 2022. Not to mention two outfield holes right now that we can’t fill internally.

SS Jeremy Pena and CF Jose Siri both receive Gold Glove awards.

If you click thru, you can see video of the home run…

Video of the HR if you click thru to the tweet…

Salazar and his Hermosillo squad are up 3 games to 1 on Culiacan and a game away from clinching the championship in the Mexican Pacific Winter League. If they capture the title, they’ll move on the Caribbean World Series.

The lefty hitting Salazar posted a .277/.371/.398 line during the regular season in 27 games. League average this year was .261/.339/.378.