What are you eating?

I’m from San Antonio, but I always loved Curra’s in Austin. Early, early morning breakfast kicks ass.

1 Like

My brother randomly, years ago, came upon a random Peruvian Flute Band in San Antonio, probably on the Riverwalk: Wayanay Cosmos was the name iirc. He bought a CD and it was really fantastic, so fantastic that I think borrowed it from him one day and he never got it back.

I am glad to hear that Hugo’s is still in business. I haven’t been in years, but it was wonderful when I did go. Plus, I lived a block away when I was in college. I think their location was Crown Plumbing back in those days.

The other fancy place I remember around there was Mark’s, it was in an old church, and it was a very nice restaurant with very nice food.

Yes, and prior to that it was a drinking establishment called Elmer Gantry’s. I have hazy memories for self-evident reasons.

1 Like

A few times actually. Mixed experiences. Some of their stuff is great, other dishes pretty unimpressive.

I like Curra’s too but it’s not Tex-Mex. Their huachinango con mojo de ajo is one of my all time favorites.

The Irvington location is still there. I’ve only been to the one on Airline and I’ve always walked out happy.

I had pretty good shrimp enchiladas at La Tapatia fairly recently, and have eaten at Chuy’s on Westheimer once, again fairly recently. It was better than I expected it would be. Teotehuacan is like what the original Ninfa’s was before it turned into what it is now.

We drive to Austin now and then for lunch with my sister, who lives in Lakeway. We always meet at Matt’s El Rancho because (1) we all know where it is, and (2) there’s still the Bob Armstrong queso.

I like Merida, which is right down the street from Original Ninfas. Best flour tortillas in town.

3 Likes

Chuy’s is what it is, and what it is just hits the spot sometimes.

1 Like

We go there before UH basketball games. Random, but they have amazing pancakes.

1 Like

Before I heard about about the Bob Armstrong queso, about 18 years ago at the Broadway 5050 in San Antonio, we concocted a very similar assortment of ingredients that we asked them to dump into their standard-issue queso. After a couple of visits we dubbed it Angel Vomit. It was GREAT!!

1 Like

I’ve only been there for breakfast, and everything is fantastic.

Last season my son became quite devoted to sandwiches from Mandola’s Deli for “tailgating” before UH football games. We’re going to have to work Merida back in to the rotation.

Good pancakes can overcome a lot of shit. I mean…they’re up there on the food list.

2 Likes

The pancakes at The Toasted Coconut are the best I’ve ever had. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Oh, shit. Now that I have to try (only done dinner/lunch there).

Plus, any time I go to Toasted I walk out with a slice of black bottom pie. Sometimes we just call and order a slice for pickup. It’s like a cheat code to get Nobie’s pie without needing a reservation.

1 Like

The pancake with the cocktail I refer to as “the cold coffee cocktail that’s on fire” is the greatest brunch in town. The server will know what you’re talking about.

You are absolutely correct about the backdoor access to Nobie pies. We always leave with a few slices, and one time an entire pie.

1 Like

Sticking with Richmond ave vibes, Candente is a good spot for Tex-Mex, it’s next door to the Pit Room. Candente gets their beef from the PR. I’ve only been once and it was solid. Excellent patio too, of course it will probably be 4 months until it is enjoyable to eat outside again.

That’s pretty much all I have ever gotten too. Last time I decided to try one of their Yucatán specialties and went with the Cochinita Pibil, which is a roasted pork meal, it was quite tasty and like everything there a huge plate of food.