What are you eating?

I’d like to see Daniel shovel snow. Instead of clearing the freaking sidewalk he’d produce some weird ass design that can only be properly appreciated from a certain angle at the winter solstice. Then I’d get fined by the philistines that run the HOA.

2 Likes

When I lived in Saint Louis I had me a gas powered snow blower for my driveway and sidewalks. I couldn’t imagine living in New England and not having one.

1 Like

I like IPAs. They remind me of Iced tea. Unsweet.

1 Like

They remind me of dishwater.

And I love iced tea (unsweet).

2 Likes

Putple Monkey Dishwasher

Yes, but you haven’t told us what you think of dishwater, or why you’ve been drinking it.

1 Like

He was probably traveling and pining for a Lone Star.

2 Likes

I’ve fallen in love with poblanos. I mean, look at ‘em. I can’t imagine a world where I’d ever go back to a normal green pepper. For anything.

4 Likes

What is a normal green pepper?

Bell?

I love Bell peppers. I love eating them raw.

Yep. Bell pepper. :bell_pepper: I’ve resorted to poblanos for everything though. Even a fresh veggie tray with dip. I may go back but not anytime soon…

I go back and forth. My #1 cheese is easily Gorgonzola. It’s not really close. Probably followed by Parmesan and Gouda. Manchego is also probably in there. Then it’s the fetas and sharp cheddars and some type of fresh goat cheese. And I’m not sure where to put mozzarella…it’s hard to narrow it down. Cheese is probably my favorite food product.

1 Like

Grana Padano is really doing it for me right now. On salads and pizzas, anyway.

I just had pineberries for the first time in my life. They were cool. One of those juicy and disappearing flavor experiences.

Made goo tubes for Mrs banedoodle and I tonight, which is just refried beans and sharp cheddar tacos. These Vista Hermoso tortillas really slap. I added jalapeños and black olives to mine tonight, being Texan.

Goo tubes happen when the fridge is desolated or time short. Would love to know what everyone else does in those situations.

I got two words for you…wine and cheese.

3 Likes

Cooking through the Tex-Mex Cookbook, I’ve had an education on peppers, especially dried peppers, but also fresh. Poblanos and Serranos are the most common variety of fresh pepper in Tex-Mex, with Serranos being the most commonly used fresh pepper for heat. Poblanos are also called ancho or Pasilla, and when dried are anchos. Anchos are the base for Gebhardt’s Chile Powder, and probably for most Tex-Mex Chile powders.

When you order chiles rellenos, you’re getting a poblano.

New Mexico Hatch and chimayo peppers are similar to poblanos, but are generally hotter, and are actually closer to Anaheim chiles from California. You can almost always find Anaheim chiles at a good Texas grocery.

The big problem with both poblanos and Anaheims is that most recipes will call for roasting and skinning the peppers, which is a difficult, tedious business, and it’s really hard for me to end up with a whole skinned pepper. Next August, when Central Market has its hatch festival, I plan to buy 5 lbs of roasted skinned hatch peppers and never buy another poblano.

1 Like

If you (or anyone else here) solves that riddle please share.

Lisa Fain of Homesick Texan is always having me rehydrate and destem (not in that order) dried chilis, which also sucks, but at least doesn’t include the skinning step.