What are you eating?

Throw in some rutabagas and marshmallows and call it chili.

1 Like

Is that Korean chili?

The unwashed heathens among us think there are no rules for chili. Let them eat cow head rice crispie treats.

I’ve had proper “head in the ground” barbacoa a few times, and you can make a very reasonable facsimile with beef cheeks in a slow cooker

There is a grocery on Houston’s north side, Gerardo’s, that cooks traditional in the ground barbacoa and apparently supplies it to a lot of the other Mexican tacoistas around town. It’s a great place to visit, and also has good lengua.

That place is really good, but they cook theirs in the kitchen (health code reasons).

Vera’s in Brownsville is the only place in Texas allowed to cook in the ground. Every Texan should go there at least once. I’ve threatened to build an earth oven for years, I should just go ahead and do it.

I hadn’t seen that before about Gerardo’s, though I’ve seen them hosing out those huge stainless tubs on Saturday mornings. I always assumed they buried the tubs. Still a great place though.

1 Like

Only Vera’s? I thought there were 2 or 3 others that had been grandfathered in. Maybe they went out of business since then.

ETA: Yep, just Vera’s How Barbacoa Paved the Way for Barbecue – Texas Monthly

1 Like

What’s on everybody’s SB menu? I’m doing fajita nachos yet unfortunately this entails a trip to HEB for the 2 things I don’t have, which I’m assuming will be an absolute zoo.

Somehow I read into that “fajitas” and “entrails”. I was thinking it’s probably good that you didn’t have some just lying around.

2 Likes

I’m having pulled pork sliders, btw.

1 Like

I’m having whatever Southwest serves on the flight to Denver.

2 Likes

Guacamole, queso, nachos and this deboned chicken that’s been stuffed with crawfish rice.

2 Likes

I’m making a big pot of Red. Will allow bowls to be garnished with bit of sharp cheddar cheese, chopped onions, and pickled jalapeños. Oh, and maybe some Mexican style sour creme.

1 Like

FYI: as of last Wednesday (I got the check yesterday), beef prices at auction are UP. Typically the producers (ie ranchers) get screwed on the price structure, with the corporate feedlots and packers making all the money…but so if we’re getting paid? Just something to look out for when at the regular grocery stores this spring/summer.

I read recently that this is the lowest number of “on the hoof” American cattle we’ve seen in quite a while.

It’s all those Mexican cattle crossing the border and stealing American cow jobs.

3 Likes

Total aside:

Somebody’s gotta eat that grass.

I remember my grandmother (who lived in Blanco County her entire life) went to a “Hill Country Women’s Conference/Weekend Thing” in Fburg or Kerrville years ago. One night at dinner, one of her tablemates asked “How many acres do you have?”, which is kind of a uncouth thing to ask a rancher…and Granny told her.

“Oh bless your heart, how do you mow it all?” was the lady’s response.

I sure like lamb meat. Goat’s pretty good too. I wish they were more available at the supermarket.

You’re in the Hill Country area, right?

Not really. I’m between Sequin and New Braunfels.