What are you eating?

I have recently discovered Kent Rollins popping up on my Facebook feed and I am hooked.

I don’t know how many of his recipes I’m gonna try and I doubt I will buy any of his seasonings or merch, but the videos are great and I have learned lots of cooking tips.

I enjoy his videos

Seen him around recently on the web, haven’t watched anything yet, but my zero-information impression is that he’s Cowboy Justin Wilson?

Very accurate.

I’m going to attempt this Korean ox bone soup recipe in the Instant Pot for Lunar New Year this weekend.

1 Like

Finally stopped at the newish Mexi-Mercado around here…their butcher counter is worth the visit (it’s about 150 feet long). There are cuts of meat you would never see in a gringo grocery, and it all looked properly good. I bought a pound of their chorizo and a pound of pre-marinated fajitas (I’ve never had great luck with pre-seasoned stuff but I had to try it) for $12. Caldo de Res is in my future, for my next trip up there. They also had cleaned, nice looking sweetbreads, which is one of my favorite things on the grill. And whole lamb & calf heads, if that’s your liking.

It’s not quite as extravagant as one of the huge Asian stores, but there was a guy cooking up to-go tacos outside the front door.

They also sell ethanol-free gas, so there’s that.

Now that I’m thinking about asian food…what’s the best supermarket in/around Austin?

There’s a 99 ranch market on Airport. It’s a chain, and it’s become my favorite in Houston, so it should be good in Austin too. It still takes me about an hour to find the fermented sweet black bean paste every time I go.

I don’t think they have calf heads.

1 Like

No barbacoa for you, then

Just go to Dee Dee’s (Manchaca & Ben White) – Best Thai food in the hemisphere. I am headed there now to pick up dinner.

I was looking for a grocery store, not a restaurant, but I will absolutely check that out

There’s an H-Mart up in the northwest area (183 & Lakeline) that I use for a variety of things. I’ve never been in the 99 Ranch, but my understanding is that the two stores are very similar.

1 Like

I think H-Mart is the most consistent chain. It’s Korean, but it’ll have most anything you’re looking for. It would not surprise me one bit if the butcher could scare up a cow head for you, too, if you feel like you really need one.

In Vegas all of the Asian markets, chains and otherwise, range from the deeply disappointing to downright disgusting, and I don’t really know why. An H-Mart opens sometime soon, so all of my hopes and dreams are pinned on them.

1 Like

MT Supermarket on N Lamar just south of W Braker is the best in Austin. I have that on good authority of my chubby Asian friend.

Yeah, that’s the other one I was trying to remember, but I haven’t been over there in years and I wasn’t sure if it was still there.

To be certain, I haven’t been there in over 4 or 5 years. But it was pretty thorough the last time I was there.

Sweet, I trust a fat asian.

That cow head will make you one of my favorite Korean soups.

1 Like

Throw in an onion and a couple of carrots, and you got yourself a stew!

2 Likes

A few years ago, making a Lifetime movie with Anne Archer, never touched my per diem.

3 Likes