What are you eating?

I’ll chime in and add, if you eat rice often (I don’t) and have the counter space and or storage space (I don’t) rice cookers are the way to go. I’ve a good friend that has one and she uses it often and I can testify that the same rice cooked in her rice cooker is superior to the same type of rice cooked on my stovetop.

Perhaps he was a graduate of Rice University?

1 Like

Wash the rice until the water is clear. It seems like a minor thing but it makes a world of difference.

1 Like

Anyone know how an Instant Pot’s rice cooker function compares to a dedicated rice cooker?

I have both and the rice cooker is far better.

2 Likes

The most convincing Vietnamese that I speak is a simple little “washing my rice“ song that my daughter taught me that’s been passed down through generations. They sing the little two minute song every time they wash the rice.

Getting back to the main title of the thread, my current answer is “not a thing”. You know that little voice in the back of your head that highlights a potential problem? Generated by your amygdala? Yeah, it really pays to pay attention to that and not ignore it. Cutting up my cucumbers and tomatoes for my salad last night I had this sneaky, almost unconscious thought that something was not quite right with the cucumbers. I couldn’t see anything and I couldn’t feel anything as I rinsed them off. But something just seemed not quite right and I ignored it. so, massive, double ended food poisoning was my adventure during the overnight hours. The worst I’ve experienced and at least a decade. The problem is, this is the first time I’ve been sick in over two years and I’ve become a big, fat baby in the interim. I should be down to my ideal weight in the next 12 hours or so…

5 Likes

The issue with sausages isn’t just seeing how it’s made, it’s seeing what it’s made of.

The Instant Pot is a great device though for those of us that don’t really cook. It’s so much easier to make more interesting dishes than spaghetti or some overcooked chicken. We love ours.

Godspeed, Das.

1 Like

Interesting. I have been wondering about whether to get one. I have seen a lot of good looking vegan recipes for an Instant Pot, but they all have stove top equivalents.

Does the Instant Pot make a difference?

Aren’t you moving into a van? Where are you going to store it?

Van idea has been shelved, although I think a lot of VanLifers use them as a one-pot solution to a lot of cooking needs.

1 Like

Did Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker talk you out of it?

We think it does. It makes complex dishes easier. Maybe foodies and chefs would disagree and that’s fair enough, but we’re neither and can still cook neato dishes without using a bunch of pots and pans and utensils we don’t have or know how to use. Cooking potatoes is awesome, carrots too. I think veggies in general come out great as does chicken (not veggie obviously but we’ve never cooked chicken that’s come out as great as it has in the Instant Pot). We would highly recommend it, especially for non foodie types.

ETA: This is just an exhibition, not a competition; please, no wagering.

Beans and soups in 20 minutes. No need to worry about defrosting anything. It’s a great convenience.

1 Like

No, I totally get it and I’ve used them before, and they do a wonderful job. But like was mentioned earier, when I eat rice it’s: basic white for gumbo; long grain/wild for a side (and after trial and error I’ve figured out exactly how to do it on the stove); and risotto or paella. When I do Asian food I usually do noodles of various varieties.

If I tried the rice cooker again would it change my mind re: rice v noodles?

Speaking of appliances. When we lived in Greeneville and would have the players over here is what I learned. American ball players all had George Forman grills in their hotel rooms to cook their proteins. Latin players all had rice cookers. One of the many differences between the players from different countries.

Once we served poppy seed chicken to a couple of kids from the DR and had rice as a side. We ran out of rice. Something that had never happened at our house before we doubled batch anytime players were coming over after that.

1 Like

You can never have enough black beans and rice and chicken

I’ve had rice cookers, two, but thought in the end they were more trouble than they were worth and gave them away. We eat rice pretty often, but I guess we aren’t very discriminating.

I diligently wash the rice. Kris never does. I can’t tell the difference.

We eat cornbread about as often as we eat rice, and we eat it often enough that I can make cornbread without referring to a recipe. Tonight I made cornbread, but instead of the cornmeal I grabbed the masa flour out of the pantry. The cornbread was peculiar. It kinda needed a pork filling.

ETA: if you’ve never looked at it, there is serious historical and sociological debate on who puts sugar in cornbread, and why.

1 Like