What are you eating?

This has nothing to do with sausage, but there are many things I’ve had on my gift lists over the years, and for the most part, Mrs Hawk has indulged all of my goofy collections of things…guitars, hats, barbecue, fountain pens, hifi…but there is one category which she steadfastly refuses: power tools. Not that she minds me having them, and even asks me to fix/build things with them, but she simply will not buy one for me. I’ve never understood why.

1 Like

I have half-jokingly asked for a clarinet from Mrs banedoodle for the last five or six years. She finally got me one this most recent Christmas. I don’t even read music.

Googled “can you teach yourself clarinet”? Answer: Hahahaha

So am now panning for an instructor with this caveat: I’m 41-years old and maaaaaaybe played the recorder in 1987. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

I played guitar as a teenager, but never got particularly good. I picked it back up at around age 40, and took formal lessons for about 5 years. I’m glad I did instead of trying to learn by watching YouTube. Not that you can’t pick up some things from videos, but I had a lot of bad habits to break and things to really learn. It helped me tremendously. I was a lot older than most of my teacher’s students, but he was a super cool guy, and it was fun just talking music and guitars with him. Good luck.

On a side note, I actually love the recorder. Like most of us of a certain age, it was my first introduction to an instrument in elementary school, but I took to it and really love the sound of one. I should see about picking it back up.

1 Like

I guess you and your wife can consider yourselves fortunate that you didn’t declare an interest in bagpipes.

2 Likes

I started taking guitar lessons again when I turned 40. I took them more or less every Monday night until Covid, about 23 years. Some days we’d pick up a piece of music, play through it, and never revisit it. Sometimes I’d work on the same piece of music for a couple of months. Sometimes we’d talk about the Astros. I remember once going in and spending the rest of the lesson trying to work out the chords on I Only Want to Dance with You–this was the classical teacher at Rice. You’ll find somebody for clarinet lessons, and it will be well worth it.

1 Like

You never wanted to see how the sausage was made?

I have access to a constant temp, humidity, air flow meat locker

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke but the Scots haven’t caught on yet.

1 Like

I have a humidor for my cigars. Do NOT put your meat in it!

1 Like

That should do it.

And stay away from humidors.

1 Like

I smoke cigars when my fancy pants friends give them to me, so no worries there

Afield, by Austin’s Jesse Griffiths, is another great cookbook for carnivores

I’d be happy to watch you. Just do not want to watch me do it.

2 Likes

I’ve got a good Italian hot sausage recipe…what’s yours? It’s always fun to learn new tweaks to things

Straight out of Ruhlman. 5 pounds cubed pork shoulder and miscellaneous pork fat, 2 T salt, 2T sugar, 2 T toasted fennel and 1T toasted coriander seeds, 3T paprika, 1/2t cayenne, 4T each fresh oregano and basil, 2T red pepper flakes, 2t black pepper, 3/4 c ice water and 1/4 c red wine vinegar. Freeze all the utensils, mix the dry ingredients and chill, grind medium, add the liquids, then use the new sausage stuffer you gave yourself for Christmas.

That took me way too long, mostly because I had to figure out how the stuffer fit together and work up courage for the next step. I don’t think I’d change the recipe, but I do think things would go faster if I did it again.

1 Like

I saw Prime Cuts.

Probably not the most appealing opening credits ever made.

1 Like

Blockquote I’m planning on frankfurters for the baseball season. Put in your order.

Lots of wieners to be had this spring, you’re saying?

1 Like

A beginner clarinet and the bagpipes can have very similar sounds.

My daughter was a clarinet player (the other played French horn). One evening on a lark I asked her to let me try to play something on her clarinet. I was astounded by how much lung power it took to squeak out even a pathetic little note.

I got two words for y’all: o boe

1 Like