What are you drinking, 2023…and 2024?

Founders KBS Original. My, my. They have a sampler four pack but the original is just fine. Think whiskey shot with a beer chaser. 12% and very delicious (dangerous).

Blue Moon Belgian White (witbier). Before anyone judges me for drinking a rather pedestrian wheat beer, please know that it is the only beer I can drink anymore and I am super glad/grateful for it. Three years ago yesterday I had a cardiac event instigated by something called multi-vessel coronary vasospasm. It put me in the cardiac ER for 3 days and had all the hallmarks of a heart attack. Except that I have no coronary artery disease and my heart is strong as an ox because I’ve been a runner all my life. Basically, 3 of the 4 main coronary arteries clamped shut, starving my heart of oxygen.

The physiological science is not well understood but the populations that experience the greatest risk for this are people with a variety of autoimmune issues (me), heavy drinkers (not me) and heavy drug users (not me). My triggers are oral steroids (which sucks because of my autoimmune issues), all beer and liquor (except said wheat beer and an occasional gin and also wine is ok).

So, Blue Moon it is for me and I am happy for it.

6 Likes

Man that sucks. Not being able to take oral steroids sounds terrible. I usually have to do a heavy prednisone course once a year-ish for UC. I’d be in rough shape without it.

Giving up alcohol was nothing, but they can pry my pred from my cold dead hands.

1 Like

So…Blue Owl Brewing Professor Black sour cherry stout.

That’s what I’m drinking.

Right now.

2 Likes

For today’s Houston Astros baseball club viewing, I’m having some Maui Brewing Company Pineapple Mana Wheat Beer and Sunshine Girl Golden Ale.

I have a shitload of local Hawai’i brews in my fridge I usually bring back from my Hawai’i layovers :call_me_hand:t2:

Let’s go Astros.

1 Like

Full disclosure; I’m pounding Keystone light and burning brush. You’re selection sounds interesting. Is it hoppy ala IPA?

1 Like

Hoppy? No, it’s sour a la black cherry and malty sweet a la stout. It is about as far from an IPA as you can get.

I had some local Hawaii beers when I was there last summer, but mostly stuck to rum and wine.

Today will feature poolside dark and stormys

1 Like

Out fucking STANDING choice.

Blue Owl flies way under the radar, but they make some really cool stuff.

They’re almost exclusively kettle sour beers, and some of the stuff they come up with is absolutely incredible.

2 Likes

I got into sour beers when we went to that place in Brookshire last Postseason. I saw this one at Whole Foods today (Mrs Hawk dispatched me to purchase artichokes, and figured I’d have a look at local brews). It is not cheap, however. Certainly more spendy than Keystone.

I’m not opposed to spending and I’ll have to give it a try. I’m into the whiskey barrel brews right now but Founders also has a habanero/mango that was surprisingly good after the initial taste.

When I was sailing in Tahiti end of April, we had a shit ton of Tahitian rum.
Very, very potent and a bit overrated.
The floating rum bars we took the dingy to were cool, though.

I’m not here to tell you who to spend and not spend your money on, but fuck Founders.

@HudsonHawk - Next time you make your way up to Austin or we’re headed that way, I’ll try to remember to grab you some of their non-distro stuff. It’s incredible.

1 Like

Because why? I have Real Ale in my backyard and they produce nothing that interests me. Same with Black Diamond. I do like Convict Hill from Independence, but why the hate for Founders?

They have proven repeatedly to be a bunch of racist fucksticks.

They hate Keystone too?

I always feel left out of the beer and wine threads because I can’t drink, for many reasons. However, my many doctors all approve of me using medical marijuana, as long as I don’t smoke it.

I’m lucky enough to live near the state’s best dispensary, Suite 443 (named after the Al Capone Suite at the Arlington Hotel), so that’s where I get my intoxicants instead of the liquor store.

They had a deal this week on one of my favorite strains, LA Kush Cake, for $25 an eighth. It’s indica-dominant so it helps with my arthritis, and if I take it easy I can get some yardwork done. This batch was grown by Bold, which isn’t my favorite cultivator, but is fine. It was only harvested April 11 so it hasn’t been cured much at all, but it tested at 29% THC so it’s strong.

I had an ounce left on my rotating state allotment, so I got an ounce of top-shelf for $200. Well, Arkansas top-shelf … but it’s legal.

4 Likes

So, it’s still just Blue Moon wheat for me and only one, maybe two in a sitting. I deviated once a couple of weeks ago (tried a simple Stella Artois) and felt like crap for two day. Multivessel coronary vasospasm FTL.