Wednesday during the deadline

Jose Berrios is an upgrade on both Odorizzi and Luis Garcia, and he’s as good as Urquidy, who has health concerns right now. Also, don’t forget, Garcia is fast approaching an inning limit dilemma.

Scherzer is the better pitcher, but both would help the Astros. If the cost to get Scherzer and Berrios is comparable, I’d rather pay it for the player I can control cheaply next season. If Scherzer is substantially cheaper, I would acquire him.

You live in the fucking past with your numbers.

1 Like

I do understand the innings limit but that won’t be a factor in the playoffs.

But what makes Berrios better than Garcia?

His .213 avg against vs Garcia .210?

His .641 OPS against which equals Garcia?

His 25.7% K rate vs Garcia’s 29.3?

Oh, I know his 6.5 BB rate which is 1% - 1 batter every hundred- better than Garcia’s.

How about his $6.1 million salary (+ arbitration next year) vs Garcia’s league minimum?

Or his 1+ year of control vs Garcia’s 5+?

And what would the team need to give up to get this incredible upgrade?

1 Like

Then enlighten me, Jim.

If my numbers are “in the past”

What should be used to evaluate performance?

And what DOES prove me wrong?

Or should I say give me hope if one of these trades happen, because I really really want to see the Astros hoisting a world series trophy again

Marte to the As almost.

ETA: maybe. I have no idea of the quality of the guy’s info.

I think the detail you might not be factoring in is: How much better could Berrios be under the leadership of Strom?

2 Likes

That is a great point!!

Where did I say the Astros were including Luis Garcia in a proposed deal for Berrios? I never mentioned anything about the trade cost.

I said, for this playoff run, Berrios is an upgrade. For one thing, Berrios has years of proven success at the MLB level. Garcia doesn’t. Berrios also doesn’t have a looming innings limit. Garcia does. An innings limit doesn’t just go away once the Astros reach the playoffs, either. Either the Astros cut back on his starts now as they try to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs, or they will have to shift him to the bullpen during the postseason.

I have no ability to enlighten anyone. Put your green eyeshade back on, and carry on.

I apologize if that was harsh or disrespectful.

Text/chats have no tone, voice inflection, or body language to help interpret the meaning.

I meant it to be a respectful question of why you feel my numbers are outdated and what you feel is better.

I did not mention trading Garcia either, although the Twins would certainly want a young controllable, MLB ready starter in return.

I was simply referring to value, Berrios vs Garcia.

No apology needed. I did not think your post was rude, and I did not take offense. I am not a stats guy, as most here know. When your posts are spreadsheets, I do not read them.

Garcia is a Class A pitcher who rode the Covid wave and who was doing well until the recent meltdown.

Berrios (sp?) is a MLB vet who has had success. I’ll trust Click to do the evaluation.

1 Like

I never buy into the rumors and just wait and see what happens. No one saw or predicted Randy Johnson, Justin Verlander or Zack Greinke coming to Houston.

2 Likes

Smart approach. I also.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment of both Garcia and Berrios.

However, Garcia was highly regarded before he ever pitched in the MLB so his success did not come out of nowhere, he simply performed after skipping levels so it was sooner than expected.

I can see ( and hope) Garcia to be Berrios’ equal in 2-3 years, as he is performing neck and neck with him now and I see the 100 game wall as the biggest difference. Experience should improve that.

I hope his start Monday was just a hiccup. He pitched well vs Oakland and Cleveland his 2 previous starts.

He is within 12 innings of his professional most, so I do worry about that but hopefully the rotation depth and division lead allows the team to reduce those innings.

The 6 man rotation and piggy-backing could both be options.

I am not denigrating Garcia. I like him a lot. I am just saying considering him superior to a proven MLB veteran may be going a bit far.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point.

For the record, though, I never said he was superior to Berrios. What I said was Berrios is not enough of an upgrade to justify the expense/effort.

If we acquire him, we better hope Strom works some magic. I like Berrios, but his career numbers after the all-star break and in the post season are not good. It isn’t something you would trade for. His past history says he can’t throw quality innings over a full 162.

Edit: The above may have sounded negative. Don’t mean it that way. I love Berrios. He has certainly given us trouble on more than one occasion and I’d love to have him. I’m just pointing out that he’s never been a shut down or stopper type of guy late in the season. But then again, he’s never had a Strom.

As an aside, we always talk about Strom and deservedly so, he’s a wizard. He’s no spring chicken though, and I just hope there are several in the Houston coaching ranks who are memorizing everything he says and does.

2 Likes

Yes, it would be interesting to know who Strom wants to be his successor.

1 Like