Travel 2021

Fishing for Taimen?

ETA: fuck autocorrect. Taxmen? Really?

Oh, the flight I took?

Austin > NYC (switch to Singapore Air) > Frankfurt ( 2 hour layover at 7am and back to the same plane) > Singapore.

Vision quest

1 Like

Ugh I think I’ve done that in Tokyo before. Tokyo Haneda has a cool little corner bar that has serious 80’s down on your luck vibes playing old Japanese R&B and jazz. I love that place and hope it’s still there.

I’ve got you all beat. I was stuck in Charles de Gaulle for three days, and I was flying United.

2 Likes

I had disinfectant sprayed on me by the Qantas flight attendants in Sydney. Triggered an asthma attack. They just walked up and down the aisle spraying everyone with some aerosol disinfectant. I guess because we were coming from the US. By the time I got to Melbourne I could hardly breath.

Bullshit. I was stuck in DFW overnight.

ETA: why didn’t you take the RER into Paris, and eat a baguette and drink a bottle of wine (or several) on the Champs de Mars?

1 Like

because we were standing in line trying to get a plane.

I once had to get from Riga to Thiruvananthapuram which was a fairly straightforward 18 hours of Riga->Prague->Larnaca->Dubai->Mumbai->Thiruvananthapuram. On the way back we were able to skip the Larnaca phase, but had a 30 hour layover in Dubai, which was by far the highlight of all the travels.

That’s nothing! On my recent trip to London, our travel app (Concur) wanted to route me via New York and Istanbul. I had to complete a dialog box explaining why I was declining the “preferred” itinerary.

2 Likes

Houston-Taipei-Jakarta-Pekanbaru was my bi-monthly jaunt before the pandemic. It’s about 27 hours of air time, with the sitting around the airport about 35 hours. EVA Air from Houston to Jakarta. I like them a lot.

I got stuck in Dubai for a couple of days once. If you find yourself in a similar predicament, I highly advise being a business class guest of Emirates Air. Limousine service, swanky hotel, free food and booze…

1 Like

I could follow what you were putting down. I personally did not fish for taimen but my driver/guide was a semi-professional angler with some pretty impressie taimen pictures. Instead of fishing we spent a lot of time trying to track down the reindeer people to no avail.

1 Like

Narita has those super cool beer dispensers. But I’ve never caught any jazz there.

1 Like

This is at Haneda which is in Southern Tokyo. It’s a tiny corner bar in the international terminal. Haneda has been constantly renovating over the past ten years and I haven’t been through there since 2018 so I don’t know if it has survived.

Yeah, just saying I’ve never flown through Haneda, just Narita.

If I had to get stuck in an airport anywhere, it’d be Singapore. There’s a golf course between runways at Bangkok’s Don Mueang, but the terminal ain’t much fun.

I had three hours to kill in Narita. I pulled up a chair to the beer dispenser.

1 Like

I was joking a bit, though taimen became a big deal for fishing in the last 30 years, honestly for most people for the right reasons. It wasn’t catching the fish, it was getting to where the fish is that was the draw . . . I guess Vision Quest is ok too.

For anyone who has never sat there for three hours…

2 Likes

There’s a cool one I’ve seen here that fills your plastic cup from the bottom. Sorcery!

1 Like

Taimen sound exciting to fish for but the vision quest was a success too so it was all good.

1 Like