Trade Deadline Possibilities 2021

Oh I’m glad he was an Astro too. He delivered the Astros a championship (and did everything he could to get them a second in 2019), but let’s be honest…it didn’t come cheap. The Astros paid him about $10MM for 2017. They’ve paid him $106MM since. He’s earned nearly a quarter of his career earnings in the last two seasons while pitching a total of six innings.

Sure some of that is offset by insurance?

At one point, he said he wanted to pitch for the Astros in 2022 because he knows his injury in effect made his two-year deal a disaster for them. Several weeks late, he started talking wistfully about going back to the Tigers. I know any club will want to watch him throw, but I wonder if the Astros are interested?

My baseless hunch is that Crane likes him and will pay for a couple of more seasons and JV’s enjoyment of the Astros and desire to make the last extension up will result in reasonable market priced 2 year deal.

Yeah, I don’t know how much, if any, of Verlander’s salary is covered by insurance. I’m assuming at least some is on such a big contract for an oft-injured position. I don’t know what he’s thinking, but I’m guessing some of his wistful thinking about the Tigers was lip service when asked about it. And I’d have to think the Astros are interested.

Back in June/ early July when the rotation looked 7 deep ( 6 under contract or controlled for 2022+) I thought there was no way and the money would be more wisely spent elsewhere ( bullpen/ shortstop/ center field) but the last month has changed my mind.

The rotation has 6 or 7 middle rotation guys.

If the team plans to continue challenging for another World Series, it needs an alpha.

I’m talking mindset more than ability.

McCullers has the stuff but at this point he should have already developed into that if he was going to. He’s a top notch #2.

Framber could get there but needs to throw strikes. That’s all. He has the ability and the passion. The team just needs to be able to count on him every start.

Garcia is too young. He has everything needed but needs to grow and learn. Not in time for 2022

Grienke is great but his best days are behind him and he has always been more of a quiet behind the scenes guy rather than a leader.

Urquidy is as solid as they come, but doesn’t have top of the rotation stuff.

Odorizzi is a great #6 starter. He can give passable innings in the middle of a season to help manage the other arms and keep them fresh and strong.

If the team can resign Verlander for a contract similar to what they signed Odorizzi (even if it’s 120-150% value) structured like his, it may he a wise investment.

Justin can pitch every 6-7 days in that rotation, provide the Ace mentality the staff needs and teach the young guys who have a chance to move into that position in 2023 or 2024 .

1 Like

This is my hope