Trade Deadline 2024

Red Sox acquire Paxton for a low-level minor leaguer:

I’d love Paredes, but replacing Jake Bloss in the starting rotation has to be Dana Brown’s top priority. And you can easily make the argument that they need another starter to replace Arrighetti, too. Someone like Zack Littell or Zach Eflin needs to be involved in a Paredes deal, too.

This doesn’t even factor in Blanco pitching more innings than he ever has.

My guess is they get one starter and hope that one of Verlander/Garcia get back

4 Likes

That’s what I expect, too. Replace Bloss and use Arrighetti as the 5th starter until JV or Garcia return. But, they have to get at least one league average or better starter by Tuesday. That’s priority #1. Getting another bat should be priority #2.

Agreed.

I agree with this 100%. Arrighetti, Bloss, and Blanco can’t be 60% of your rotation. Especially with this the first year they are starting in the 162 game gauntlet.

But I do not see this team as a legitimate contender with guys like Pena, Singleton, and Meyers in the middle of the lineup.

Tucker returning drops them each down one spot, but the #6 and #7 spots are still very weak.

The Astros have more than one need. I just happen to think the starting pitching need is a little higher on the priority scale than adding a hitter. If Kyle Tucker doesn’t return and perform at his usual level, this team is in trouble either way.

Also, Pena would be fine if he was batting second where he should be. He’s miscast as a middle of the order bat right now.

At the very least, he’d be tougher to double up than the current #2.

1 Like

Slightly higher, in the sense that Denver is slightly higher than Houston

2 Likes

Ok, a mountain higher in importance.

That could change if Texas legalizes cannabis.

Seattle has acquired Astros legend Yimi Garcia from Toronto.

And Baltimore is getting Zach Eflin from Tampa Bay. Ugh.

What are the Mariners and Orioles giving up?

Couple of lightly used couches

2 Likes

Full trade, per ESPN sources:

Baltimore Orioles receive: right-handed starter Zach Eflin

Tampa Bay Rays receive: outfielder Matthew Etzel, right-handed pitcher Jackson Baumeister and superutilityman Mac Horvath.

Passan

Full deals

To Seattle: RHP Yimi Garcia
To Toronto: OF Jonatan Clase (#13 on BA’s system Top 30), C Jacob Sharp (NR)

To Baltimore: RHP Zach Eflin
To Tampa Bay: 3B Mac Horvath (#13), RHP Jackson Baumeister (#18), OF Matthew Etzel (NR)

Eyeballing it, those Orioles prospects would (very) roughly equate to Zach Dezenzo, Miguel Ullola, and I don’t know, Kenedy Corona in the Astros system? That’s not crazy for a year and a half of Eflin.

2 Likes

So, whose tires do we kick next? Taillon?

Jack Flaherty if I had my way.

Shit seems to be happening awful fast with the deadline still a few days away.

I read somewhere that Astros aren’t interested in Flaherty.