Trade Deadline 2024

By all means, be mad about last night. He was terrible last night.

He also had a 2.41 ERA since April 17 with 59K’s in 37 innings before last night. He needs to get his homers under control but lets not act like we need to blow everything up

8 Likes

I am curious what evokes hatred from you for Hader? Because he gave up a home run and the lead? Because he has long hair? Because you think he is a redneck? You said all of those things last night in a Truth Social-worthy post. “Goddamn it I hate Josh Hader, fucking useless redneck headcase freak.” Why?

Do you think Hader is not trying to win? Do you think he wants to give up homers? Do you think he is not giving his best effort? Is it because he got a big contract from Crane? Are these things worth hatred? Is Michael Taylor not a major league hitter? Was that his first home run ever?

Hatred and profane invective because a baseball player fails in a baseball game is something about this board I will never understand. Baseball is not easy, and the others guys are MLB players too. If it were an easy game, we would be playing and not posting. I was as sick about the outcome last night as anyone here, and of course the back of the bullpen must pitch better, but a loss of a game which could have been won is not a reason to hate.

I realize this is a pet peeve of mine about the GZ which will generate eye rolls and likely more than a few old man comments, but when I read stuff like I read about Hader last night, all I can think of in reply is “get a life.”

8 Likes

If everyone does their job to the best of their ability, a team will still lose 50 + times in a season.

Nobody has got 4 hits per 10 ABs in 75ish years.

Nobody in MLB wins every game or every AB. Not a hitter, not a pitcher, not a team.

Before any of the trade news even came up, I expected the Astros to most likely lose that game and they never lead.

Today is another game and I expect the Astros to win.
Hader will pitch again tomorrow, or today, or another day and do well in an Astros win.

My “friend” again

This is only tangentially related - but I hope at this point fans realize that they should not take anything Brown says too seriously when it comes to a particular prospect.

He talked up Drew Gilbert and Jake Bloss - and now both have been traded, and both were traded so that Brown could protect other prospects.

The real opinion on Gilbert came out after the Verlander deal - when Brown said that he wasn’t good enough defensively to stay in center, did not hit for enough power to stand out as a corner outfielder and had injury issues … so far all of those have proven to be true. Magically, the 24 year old Gilbert has moved up into the top 50 prospects in the game after leaving Houston, but Gilbert has an OPS of under 600 in the little he has played this year.

As for Bloss - he quickly moved up the system based on merit, where he was dominant through AA. They called him up after massive injuries to their starting rotation and he never even pitched in AAA. His velocity went down in the big leagues and he seemed to lack a real out pitch. Next thing we know, he is dealt… lets wait and see what Brown has to say about him.

3 Likes

People with sources, what is going on today for the Astros?

Orioles get Trevor Rodgers from the Marlins for Connor Norby

Edit: also Kyle Stowers to the Marlins

4 hours left and I haven’t heard or read anything about the Astros today.

They really need a bat to justify the Kikuchi trade. IMO

Last I heard they were still talking to the Rays about Yandy Diaz but that was yesterday afternoon.

1 Like

Hader and Pressly both sucked last night, but they have been much better since June. Before last night, Pressly had made 15 straight scoreless appearances, dropping his era to under 3.5 and his WHIP under 1.25. Abreu’s command can be spottier than we would like at times, but his ERA is under 3.

2 Likes

You are underselling Yandy Diaz’s ability as a hitter. He’s not a big time power bat, but his bat to ball skills and contact ability would really help the Astros. He won the American League batting title last season.

3 Likes

Offensively, he’s Yuli but also walks

3 Likes

Dbacks get Josh Bell for a song

He had already been dfa’d by the Marlins

Not an improvement over Singleton. I hope to hell Brown is working his butt off to the final bell.

It’s the same shit that annoys me about every other player that draws my ire; I’ve explained it repeatedly and it’s not that hard to comprehend. The Astros have abandoned their wildly successful process several times recently either absent a GM or absent a GM with the stature to stand up to a meddling owner, and each with results ranging from disastrous to deeply disappointing. Crane got rid of Click precisely because he refused to make these dumbass deals.

And another thing, during the off-season any number of people around here (I was not one of them but you were) were clamoring for starting pitching. Turns out you and the others were quite right to be concerned about that, and yesterday’s move (and the Verlander trade) result directly from the team’s blowing its wad signing a closer when they already had the best bullpen in baseball which they blew up to get said closer.

And that reminds me, if they weren’t so concerned about Verlander hitting his inning limit to trigger his contract for next year maybe they would have a HOF pitcher out there rather than Blossghetti and they wouldn’t have to trade away guys for a rental that may or may not be able to get anyone out.

5 Likes

This is actually the first time I have seen these dots connected so clearly. Thank you. And on that note, I saw somewhere that Neris may be available. I actually do like Hader and was sorry to see him traded the first time, but I do wonder how we would look with a Neris instead of Hader in the bullpen and $10mm worth of ace starter instead of “Blossghetti”.

2 Likes

MLB Network saying it’s down to the Yankees, Mariners, and Astros on Diaz. Pirates out.

Who in the world would the Astros trade to get Diaz? The cleaning crew?

Caleb Ferguson to the Astros for a minor leaguer from the Yankees

The thing is, that money was never going to another starter, they seemingly had no interest in going back in on Stanek or Maton. It was sign Hader or do nothing. So not having Hader just means more Montero, more whoever the fuck from SL, not another starter. The two have nothing to do with each other.

1 Like

JV was acquired ~6 months before they signed Hader…not sure how the 2 are connected

2 Likes

Caleb Ferguson has been real bad for the Yankees but had been pretty good before that