Trade Deadline 2022

The Astros history is figuring out a guy’s best pitches and convincing him to discard the not as good ones. Based on what you posted, his curve may go away to emphasize his slider. Maton and McHugh before him developed a sweeping slider while in Houston. Watching his development/progression will be interesting.

4 Likes

If nothing else, that curve has to go. He would never throw another curve if it were me

1 Like

Similar to Urquidy ditching his cutter and his season taking off.

4 Likes

Was the homer he gave up on a curve? I don’t remember.

Yes. Breaking pitch middle in, some down but not enough. Rolling break, not sharp.

1 Like

This is the “Charlie Morton Approach”. Yeah, you throw five pitches, but three of them suck. From now on, you throw the 4-seam up, the curveball down. That’s it.

4 Likes

Yes: step 1 is scrap the curveball

Thanks for looking all that up

2 Likes

No, step 1 is “trust your stuff”

2 Likes

I think the Astros step 1 is “eliminate some of your stuff.”

Yeah. “Trust your good stuff, ditch your bad stuff.”

3 Likes

Not OWA enough, try this

“Trust that shit, fuck that other shit”

1 Like

I don’t recall giving you permission to do an impression of my posts, sir.

Trust your good stuff

And don’t shake off Maldy.

7 Likes

Enjoyed the Astros-Yanks contrast @ the trade deadline, the perspective on Soto trade, & the light touch CBA overview (video) w/ a comedian…

…the Astros covered their bases more seamlessly than…Yankees…

1 Like

NYY Rent Rate…unchanged:

4 Likes

Ha, they are the last ones who should say this. The As franchise has been giving NYY players for decades. Montas and Trivino this time.

3 Likes

Love the article AND the give and take b/t the fans in the comments section. Whoa! Yanks fans are definitely not finding a sympathetic ear…

Question about this quote (from next to last paragraph, after mentioning the Orioles payroll):

…And then there’s Tampa, who’s king at suppressing wages with their abusive use of options, the introduction of “the opener,” and trading players right when they start to accrue value (Austin Meadows, Joey Wendle most recently)…

How has Tampa “surpressed wages” by abusing options?

They haven’t abused options, but have manipulated service time, as have most clubs, including the Astros. See Springer, George.

2 Likes