Trade Deadline 2022

I think there’s a less than 50/50 chance Soto gets moved, especially seeing what it cost the Mariners to get Castillo.

To that point, an article in The Athletic quoted a GM whose team has been in talks with the Nationals for Soto as saying their asking price is asinine and insane. Thinking about what our most hated rivals had to give up in the Castillo trade, had for me to imagine a team going above and beyond that for Soto, as immense (and young) of a talent he is.

If everyone stays healthy and we gain McCullers and he produces in any way, I’m not so sure Houston needs anyone at the deadline. Possibly centerfield. Possibly a backup catcher on the cheap. I think sticking with Yuli at first base is the best option. Have to hope Verlander doesn’t run out of gas too.

1 Like

You might be right, but I’d feel much more comfortable with another bat or two. If Brantley can’t return, and let’s face it, with his shoulder history it has to have everyone nervous, we are much shorter in our batting order the later the season gets. The lack of consistent offensive production from CF and catcher gets magnified if Uncle Mike can’t return. Yes Alvarez is a much better outfielder than anyone gives him credit for, but I’d prefer his time be split about 70/30 DH/LF. I don’t think we should be spending assets trying to acquire a starting catcher. Maldonado is out starter even if he hits .050. So that leaves LF/CF/DH as possible acquisitions.

I think ideally, go acquire acquire Ian Happ, he’s a switch hitter and can play center or left. If Brantley is indeed a serious question to return, go get Josh Bell too. Alvarez plays left, Happ center and Bell DH’s.

Lastly, go get Tucker Barnhart to backup Maldonado.

I’d feel really good about that if it were to happen. We could get by with just Bell and Barnhart but I’d like Happ too. I’m comfortable with the pitching but if we add there, I certainly won’t complain.

Now that Castillo is gone, I don’t see another SP that moves the needle.

The fallout of that is that the team should hold on to all the starters they have with the exception of MAYBE Odorizzi but he won’t bring much.

I still think the team needs at least 1, likely 2 bats.

Yuli is vital to this team and looks to be much better hitting #2 ahead of Yordan. Maybe that was the recipe. I’m sure he is getting great pitches to hit. I would like to see a better option than Matijevic for back up/platoon though.

To me, Meyers is still going to be a good and valuable player on this team but thats not this year. I think the shoulder needs more time and he should finish the year in AAA.

That leaves Chas as the CF but he is a much better #4 OF due to extrememe splits and inconsistency.

Problem is that the CF market is weak and expensive.

Would it be dumb to bring up Pedro Leon now and give him 2 months and 150 PA to see if his recent plate discipline can translate to MLB?

With the division all but wrapped up he can be put in the #8 spot and left alone to reduce any pressure.

1 Like

Happ looks like a significant upgrade over Meyers at the plate. How do they match up on defense?

What I have read is Happ is an adequate defender in LF and weak in CF.

Doesn’t feel like an Astro kind of move. Otherwise they would just move Tucker there and they have buried that thought.

I don’t look at all the new age metrics so I don’t know how good Happ is at getting to difficult balls, but on balls he does get to, his fielding percentage in CF is and ever so slightly tick above his fielding percentage in left. That might not mean much though. Has 283 career starts in left and 240 in center. He’s stolen 34 bases across 5 plus seasons so he can at least run a little.

Trade 3 mid level prospects to Wash for Bell. Overpay for a rental but so be it. Gotta maximize the opportunity.

Matijevic (MLB#30, FG#19)
Cristian Gonzalez (MLB#11, FG#18)
Jonathan Bermudez (MLB#17, FG NR)

Meyers to AAA and give Leon a 2 month tryout. ( Bermudez in trade clears spot on 40 man)

1B: Yuli 65%, Bell 35%
LF: Alvarez 40%, McCormick 40%, Diaz 20%
CF: Leon 75%, McCormick 20%, Dubon 5%
RF Tucker 95%, McCormick 5%
DH: Alvarez 55%, Bell 50%.

Pedro Leon this year:

306 AB
72 H (22 2B, 13 HR)
53 BB
100 K
BA .235
OPS .827

He’s only ground into 2 dp’s so there’s that.

For comparison Siri has 9 AAA HRs in 13 games this season.

I really don’t think Leon is ready to bring up, but what do I know. Need to go get Bell. Include Myers if you have too and go get Happ as well. Happ has another arb year left and then turn center over to Leon in 2024. He can get his feet wet next year. Bell and Happ, both being switch hitters, would be valuable to have.

David Peralta, whom Houston had been loosely linked to in some reports, has been traded to the Rays. Peralta had spent this off season working out with Brantley.

Happ was a 2B when he came up. I doubt he is anything more than adequate in the OF.

Agree.

If there’s an upgrade to be had in CF this season (and we’re talking at the plate) then that player is not currently in the organization.

I am ready for something to happen.

3 Likes

I am too. You know we are grabbing a backup catcher to Maldonado. Let’s get that done at least.

It could be a long 70+ hours.

1 Like

I don’t think I like the idea of Tucker Barnhardt. Something about his name makes me think he’d insist on only catching righties.

Love child of Tucker and Sandra?

1 Like

I hate you for that image.

He makes me think of a Vanderbilt fratboy