Tom Herman Fired

I disagree he had to go. They could have given him a bogy for the whole 2020 COVID-19 year and saved the $25 million in buy out money after a more profitable yet disappointing season next year, assuming there would be people in the stands. It seem like that school has money to burn.

1 Like

His overall record was pretty decent, but throughout his four seasons I felt like I was still watching Charlie Strongā€™s Texas teams: coaches and players both generally unprepared to play against good teams and trying to skate by on talent alone. They played undisciplined (6th most penalty yardage in FBS this year, 24th most in FBS last 3 years).

1 Like

ā€œHad to goā€ may have been a bit strong. But if youā€™re no longer convinced Hermanā€™s the guy, and youā€™re not worried about the buyout, then why not go ahead and make the change?

1 Like

Herman had to go. He definitely was not the guy. He is gone. Yay. He lost me forever after Iowa State. I almost never blame coaches because I was one, but Herman and his OC lost that game. Herman was insufferably arrogant and stubborn. Every other team in the US had Covid issues. He does not get a free pass for that. Thank goodness heā€™ll go elsewhere and will be paid well to move on. His buyout reportedly is $15 million. Come on, Sphinx; the school is not paying this buyout. Weā€™ll see how many assistants will stay on. $25 million assumes all will be fired.

One of the ESPN talking heads was pointing to Sarkisianā€™s track record for developing quarterbacks at Washington, USC, and Alabama. Not sure how much of that was development and how much was recruiting, but I guess weā€™ll find out.

I hope he is a great recruiter. Herman had a strong start there, but committed recruits bailed on him right and left this year. I doubt any school in the US had as many opt outs as UT before bowl games. ALL of the captains opted out except Ehlinger and injured Kerstetter. That says a lot to me.

You would be wrong there, itā€™s common practice now.

I know that. I am talking about numbers at a single school, and my guess is UT had more than any other school, and five of the seven captains were among them.

Texas has ONE captain from the start of the season left on the roster at the end of this year, and of course it was Sam.

Granted Kerstetter was out because his leg basically fell off, but there is something pretty stinky about ALL of your senior/upper class leadership bailing on the team in their bowl game.

Per just about every player that is willing to talk about it, Herman is a difficult person and coach to be around, and he isnā€™t thought very highly of by most of the Longhorn NFLers.

1 Like

IMO, Hermanā€™s biggest problem is that he was stubborn and that stunted his ability to grow. Iā€™d also take exception to the idea that he was good. The Big 12 sucked this year, more than usual and he still found a way to lose three games, and without a miraculous on-sides kick, it would have been four.

Plus, he seems to be an asshole and assholes arenā€™t given as much slack. Witness all the responses from his ex-players. Sounds as if he wasnā€™t too popular.

2 Likes

Maybe the Longhorns should have talked to that coach at North Carolina. Heā€™s got his guys punching above their weight class.

He did years ago, thatā€™s why they hired him.

Also why they hired Herman.

It happens at every school now that is not in the Final Fourā€¦Florida was without their top 4 receivers, UNC is without both RBs tonight, etcā€¦

All Iā€™m saying is that itā€™s not just a UT thing.

No one said it was!!! More at UT is all I said, and the fucking captains bailed.

Hell, you thought Strong was good. Why am I talking to you?

Herman was an arrogant, stubborn asshole here. I am shedding no tears for him.

Maybe he meant at the time of the hire. I liked the Strong hire at the time, but it became clear during year 2 that it wasnā€™t working.

Most I saw were dancing on his grave

Yup.

When I saw this news yesterday morningā€¦

Very enjoyable to watch bad things happen to bad people. Herman is an arrogant classless drunken douche.

2 Likes

Waldo is correct wrt my comments. Hope youā€™ll talk to me again, Jim.

And yes, Herman turned out to be an asshole, same asshole he was at UH.

Never stopped. Mine was a question.