The "Window"

I’ll put this here…

I figure he’ll demand a 7-year contract.

If he leaves to be a FA, I will be disappointed in him. I love having him as an Astro, and I think the club/ownership has been good to him and good for him.

3 Likes

I get the sense that this next contract will determine what cap he wears as he enters the Hall. This is his 6th year with the Astros. He had 12 with Detroit. I know it’s silly to be thinking of this kind of stuff at this point but, what was a foregone conclusion I think is getting less sure as he racks up wins, K’s, accolades, etc… the longer he is in Houston. I that regard, I’d love to see him ink a 3 year deal. Also, I tend to think he’ll remain effective, ala Nolan Ryan.

2 Likes

Yep, I hope Crane keeps him an Astro until he is ready to retire. I hope JV wants to stay here, but maybe his ego comes first.

His past willingness to accept a shorter term deal makes me think Houston will have a shot at keeping him around. I, too, will be disappointed in him if he leaves. I might could understand him going back to Detroit.

Best way to keep him is to get him inked to an extension before the season’s over. Maybe three years would get it done. Don’t let anyone else start throwing numbers at him.

3 Likes

I agree.

I think legacy is important to him.

I don’t think he wants to be viewed as a mercenary or ring chaser.

I think he wants to keep his career to 2 teams if possible.

I would sign him to an extension too. I think he would agree to the right terms.

As for HOF, I think about Joe Morgan who played more seasons in Houston than Cincinnati and Nolan Ryan who played more seasons in Houston than Texas.

I think the hat he wears in the HOF will be based on how much is accomplished during the time there not really the length of time - but extra years can’t hurt.

I would like to keep him, and three years seems good. I wouldn’t be upset if he leaves. More upset with 2 past years of injury, without him on the club. But I am not God, and I am sure JV didn’t want it.

My guess is that if he thinks Detroit has turned the corner and he can go back for two or three years to help them climb the mountain, that’s what he’ll do.

possibly, but do you know what winters are like in detroit? he might just like the milder weather. Summers can be a real drag. This summer has been especially hot.

At $25MM per year, I think JV is out performing the value of his contract. He signed to 2 year deal with a second year opt out because of the uncertainty of coming back from TJS. There is no uncertainty any longer and I hope both he and the club can agree to a raise, either by a an extension or a new contract. This year has been a bargain.

The Tiger’s have always treated him well. Twice they were able to renegotiate and extend his contracts before he reached free agency. Same with the Astros. He has never been an unrestricted free agent yet has earned around $300MM.

Tend to agree. He’s made $33M yearly with the Astros already and the top 4 MLB pitching contracts are $43M, $36M, $36M and $35M this year. If he continues this great year, I can see him reasonably asking/seeking $38-40M per year for 3 years.

Agree

Although those weren’t the values other pitchers were making 2018-2021.

But I’m sure the team collected insurance on last year and can get more if he happens to age out and i jurs himself in the future.

And they did not sign Correa - I think JV needs to finish his career as an Astro for the next 3-6 years. However long he wants to pitch and he deserves top 1-3 AAV among pitchers.

Let’s also not forget the Astros paid him $66MM for six innings of work 2020-21. I realize that’s the way it works, but it’s not like the Astros have been milking the value out of him.

1 Like

That’s why you’d hope that all things being equal, or the Astros not having as much of an offer, they’d still get consideration from him. But maybe not.

I’m sure JV probably thinks he’s making up for the $66 million by his performance and contract this year.

2 Likes

I worry that is exactly how JV sees it.

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter if he is a bargain now or if he got $66MM for six innings 20-21 when it comes to how much money he will command if he hits the open market. Fortunately for the Astros, his history has been to work out extensions or new deals with his current club. But really, you never fucking know what someone will do 'til they do it.

2 Likes