The sci-fi TV thread

The Volksagen dealership is all the way back at Kirby. The Richmond Arms used to be in a house across the street from its current location, next to the building with the crooked window. It’s been at its current location for many decades now, long before the Volkswagen dealership. Are you thinking of the old Ale House, that was an old house at W. Alabama and Kirby?

The Ale House had the same owner as the Arms. It was where the strip center is now on the south-east side of W. Alabama @ Kirby.

The Ale House was able to put the screws to the property developer, because they had the right to match any offer for the land and buy it…which they did. The developer sued everyone and made life miserable for the pub and it’s customers, but he had to pay up eventually because the pub was right in the middle of his plan.

I actually preferred the Ale House back in my drinking days. One, it was much closer to where I lived; two, it was haunted; and three, it had live music.

But my first date with my wife was at the Richmond Arms. So…

1 Like

Back in your drinking days? Did you mean yesterday?

Should have clarified…back in my public drinking days. Now it’s mostly in private while yelling at the TV and complaining in the GZ.

That’s exactly right. I was thinking at the time I was writing that this is wrong, but that’s ok because someone will correct me.

Utopia on Amazon looks interesting: https://youtu.be/dFSKBllxRIw

Stoked for this:

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1301897808530812930?s=20

And intrigued by this:

I recommended Ted Lasso to someone, and then wondered if they’d think it was weird, so started to re-watch Ep1 to remind myself what the introduction to the series would be for them. Ended up re-watching all the episodes to far, which was worthwhile because it’s still good and there were more than a few subtleties that I’d missed.

I just finished book 1 of The Expanse and why the hell didn’t I listen to y’all sooner?

1 Like

Same here, although we had already watched season 1 by the time I read the book. We watched it last year and didn’t get around to season 2 a few weeks ago, and I read book 1 just before the we started S2. Great book, about to start book 2. Hoping the books and the tv series keep up the quality.

Visually, wow

3 Likes

I actually liked the David Lynch one, but my favorite review of that just said “Change the ‘e’ to a ‘g’”.

This looks awesome, and has a good cast (as did Lynch’s with a couple of exceptions). I loathe to think how gross Baron Harkonnen is going to be…

I always loved the Lynch version, too. But I loved Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival, so definitely will be looking forward to this one.

3 Likes

Arrival was great; a Sixth Sense level twist, followed by the mind fuck over the choice she’d made once you realized she’d made it.

2 Likes

Arrival was an absolute classic and I don’t understand why it doesn’t get more love

1 Like

It’s based on a great short story “The Story of Your Life” that I highly recommend, along with everything else Ted Chiang has written.

2 Likes

Well fuck you…again…2020!

RIP Emma Peel

Ditto. I read the book shortly after the movie came out and I still find myself thinking about different stories all the time. Just yesterday the insane writing AI the Brits have developed got me talking about his piece about what society is like when people are no longer capable of understanding the science the AIs are doing.